You Can Win Valuable Prizes!
SurvivalBlog has an ongoing non-fiction writing contest. The writers of the top three contributed articles in the next 60 days will receive prize packages with a combined value of more than $11,000:
- A Tactical Self-Contained 2-Series Solar Power Generator system from Always Empowered. This compact starter power system is packaged in a wheeled O.D. green EMP-shielded Pelican hard case (a $1,700 value),
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate that is good for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,195 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 Nato QD Billet upper with a hammer forged, chromlined barrel and a hard case to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR type rifle to have quick change barrel, which can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools and a compact carry capability in a hard case or 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Gun Mag Warehouse is providing 20 Magpul PMAG 30-rd Magazines (a value of $300) and a Gun Mag Warehouse T-Shirt; (an equivalent prize will be awarded for residents in states with magazine restrictions),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- The Ark Institute is donating a non-GMO, non-hybrid vegetable seed package (enough for two families of four) plus seed storage materials, a CD-ROM of Geri Guidetti’s book “Build Your Ark! How to Prepare for Self Reliance in Uncertain Times”, and two bottles of Potassium Iodate (a $325 retail value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- KellyKettleUSA.com is donating an AquaBrick water filtration kit with a retail value of $304, and
- Two cases of meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value).
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A transferable certificate for a two-day Ultimate Bug Out Course from Florida Firearms Training (a $400 value),
- A Model 175 Series Solar Generator provided by Quantum Harvest LLC (a $439 value),
- A Trekker IV™ Four-Person Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $250 value),
- A $200 gift certificate good towards any books published by PrepperPress.com,
- A pre-selected assortment of military surplus gear from CJL Enterprize (a $300 value),
- RepackBox is providing a $300 gift certificate to their site, and
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A $245 gift certificate from custom knifemaker Jon Kelly Designs, of Eureka, Montana,
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances,
- Montie Gear is donating a Precision Rest (a $249 value), and
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
Round 67 of the writing contest ends on November 30th, 2016
Writing Contest Rules:
To be eligible, an article must be an original work of at least 1,500 words.
You can write on any topic related to preparedness or survival that you think would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers. Again, to be eligible, an article must be an original work of at least 1,500 words. (2,500 to 4,000 words is ideal. Very long articles are allowed, but may be serialized, as the editors see fit.)
Be sure to thoroughly proofread your article, and have at least one friend or relative proofread it, as well!
All writings must be original works and the copyright will become the property of SurvivalBlog.
Once your article has been posted at SurvivalBlog, you cannot submit it elsewhere! Do not send us articles that you have already posted or submitted elsewhere!
Once your article has been posted at SurvivalBlog, the copyright belongs to SurvivalBlog. Similarly, if you’ve already submitted an article elsewhere, then do NOT submit it to SurvivalBlog unless you own (or have regained) full copyright and have the permission of any third party site(s).
We reserve the right to edit articles for length, grammar, spelling, punctuation and to excise any portions that are off-topic. We reserve the right to post only those articles that we deem “blogworthy.”
You can only be awarded one of the top three prizes once per year.
Articles that are promotional are not eligible for judging in the contest.
Articles may be written under pseudonyms.
Guesswork is not acceptable. Unless you have tried something yourself or actually seen something done successfully, then don’t write suggesting that it “might work”, or “should work.” Nor can you recommend items that you’ve seen in catalog but have never tried. People’s lives may depend on what you write, so be absolutely sure that what you write is trustworthy and authoritative!
Plagiarism is absolutely unacceptable!
You must submit only your own original work. Brief quotes from other works are acceptable, but only if quotation marks are used, and full attribution to the original author is given. Any plagiarism will be grounds to have your article removed and disqualified from the judging.
Special judging consideration will be given to the article with the most useful and detailed information on a practical skill that is applicable to a TEOTWAWKI situation.
You may include illustrations or pictures with your article. Images should be submitted separately from the article and in jpg, gif, png or pdf format. Please do not embed the images in a Word document as it is not always possible to lift the image for processing. Such embedded images will be ignored. All images submitted should be original to the author of the article and the author should own the copyright to them.
Eligibility: SurvivalBlog advertisers, prize donors, editors, and families of staff members are not eligible for the contest. Prize winners are not eligible for subsequent awards until one year has elapsed. Honorable Mention prize winners are still eligible for all prizes in subsequent rounds!
You can submit as many articles as you’d like.
So start writing, ladies and gents! You can submit as many articles as you’d like for judging.
Please submit your articles only in RTF, MS-Word, OpenDocument, HTML, or plain text format, via e-mail. OpenOffice or LibreOffice .odt is preferred. (Please do not send articles in Microsoft Works format, thanks!)
James Wesley, Rawles
Senior SurvivalBlog Editor
Congratulations to the Winners of Previous Rounds of the Contest:
- Round 1: B.H. in Spokane, for his article titled “On Preparing Your Children”, which was posted on October 24, 2005.
- Round 2: “EMT J.N.” who wrote the article: “Getting Your Group to Buy In: The $20 Medical Kit” which was posted on January 13, 2006
- Round 3: K.A.D., for his article titled: “Defending Your Home: An Outline of Security for Troubled Times” which was posted on March 28, 2006.
- Round 4: Northwest Huey, for his article titled: “Using Rechargable Batteries” which was posted on May 28, 2006.
- Round 5: TruthFirst, for his article titled: “How to Build an Inertial Well Slow Pump for Grid Down Emergencies” which was posted on July 31, 2006.
- Round 6: R.E.M., for his article titled: “Maximizing Food Storage Life” which was posted on September 26, 2006.
- Round 7: SF in Hawaii, for his article titled: “Wheat Sprouts and Wheatgrass as Survival Foods” which was posted on November 6, 2006.
- Round 8: JLM, for his article titled: “Gardens For the Future” which was posted on January 26, 2007.
- Round 9: E.C.W., MD, for her article: “Wound Care: An Emergency Room Doctor’s Perspective” which was posted on February 24, 2007.
- Round 10: “Grandpappy” for his article “How to Harvest, Process, and Store Vegetable Seeds” which was posted on May 11, 2007.
- Round 11: John O. MD for his article “Survival Labor and Delivery” which was posted on July 10, 2007.
- Round 12: “Polar Bear” for his article “Converting Diesel Vehicles to Run on Waste Vegetable Oil” which was posted on September 10, 2007.
- Round 13: “LP” for his article “Preparedness While on Business Travel –What to Pack” which was posted on November 24, 2007.
- Round 14: J. Britely for his article “Prepare or Die” which was posted on January 30, 2008.
- Round 15: Paul C., for his article “My Seven Favorite North American Edible Wild Plants” which was posted on March 25, 2008.
- Round 16: KLK for her article “How To Prepare for Radiation Emergencies”, which was posted on May 16, 2008.
- Round 17: Thomas G., for his article “The Tomato Rebuild–Machining Technology is Crucial to Modern Society”, which was posted July 16, 2008.
- Round 18: Terry B., for his article “How To Make Den-Type Game Traps”, which was posted August 27, 2008.
- Round 19: Carolyn W., for her article “Gardening and Seed Saving” which was posted on November 28, 2008.
- Round 20: George S. for his lengthy article “Field Gear on a Shoestring Budget” which was posted on January 12, 2009.
- Round 21: Dr. K. for his two part article: “TEOTWAWKI Medicine and Minor Surgery” which was posted on March 24 and March 26, 2009.
- Round 22: Mike U., for his article “Unconventional Wisdom for CCW Permit Holders”, which was posted on May 19th, 2009.
- Round 23: Mike S., for his article “GPS for Day-to-Day Use and Survival”, which was posted on July 14th, 2009.
- Round 24: Old Dog in Alaska, for his article “Grub and Gear–Lessons Learned from an Alaskan Trapper”, which was posted on September 22nd, 2009.
- Round 25: InfoRodeo for his article “The Dumpster List”, which was posted on October 31st, 2009.
- Round 26: Lin for her article “Feeding Your Family Well During Hard — and Harder — Times”, which was posted on December 9th, 2009.
- Round 27 : Dan in Oklahoma for his four part article: “The Home Foundry, Metal Casting”, that was posted in February, 2010
- Round 28: C.F., for “A Southwesterner’s Experience in Family Preparedness”, which was posted on April 2nd, 2010.
- Round 29: Old Dog in Wisconsin for “Getting My Lists Together”, posted on July 15th, 2010.
- Round 30: Nomad Medic for “Dealing With Diarrhoeal Diseases”, posted on September. 26th, 2010.
- Round 31: T.K. for Bugout Base Camp: “My Solar School Bus”, posted on November 15, 2010.
- Round 32: J.E. for “Preparing for the Aftermath–Lessons from the 1930s”, posted on December 24, 2010.
- Round 33: K.M. for “What is a Well-Stocked First Aid Kit?”, posted on March 15, 2011.
- Round 34: J.B. in Montana for “Preparing Kids for Disasters”, posted on May 28, 2011.
- Round 35: R.B. for “The Will to Act: Your Ultimate Bug-out Kit”, posted on July 30, 2011.
- Round 36: David J. for “Small Scale Alternative Energy in Suburbia”, posted on September 22, 2011.
- Round 37: Paul B., for “Staple Foods Storage By The Numbers”, posted on November 10, 2011.
- Round 38: A.A.A, for “Barter, Post-TEOTWAWKI: The Micro Store” posted on December 22, 2011.
- Round 39: Jim B., for “The Extreme Solar Still Concept” posted on March 31, 2012.
- Round 40: Barefoot Yankee Gal for “Kitchen Cupboard Medicine”, posted on April 3, 2012
- Round 41: Dr. Moutaintop for “The ABCs of Trauma”, posted on July 29, 2012.
- Round 42: Dan in Alabama for “Make Your Own Retort Style Charcoal”, posted on September 19, 2012.
- Round 43: D.A., DVM for “A Veterinarian’s Perspective on Prepper Medicine”, by D.A., DVM, posted on November 6, 2012.
- Round 44: T.S.H., MD for “Field Care For Your Newborn”, posted on December 20, 2012.
- Round 45: Lockstich for “Industrial Sewing Machines for Prepared Families”, posted on February 8, 2013.
- Round 46: Steven in Alabama for “When Bugging Out is Not an Option: Hunkering Down with a Quadriplegic”, posted on May 24, 2013.
- Round 47: Sophie for “Prepping the Texas Cowboy Way”, posted on July 12, 2013.
- Round 48: Tennessean for “Protection from Radioactive Fallout”, posted on September 12, 2013.
- Round 49: TX ER DOC, for So, “You Bought Fish Antibiotics. Now What?”, posted on November 20, 2013.
- Round 50: Mountain Top Patriot for “Want to Raise Pigs?”, posted on January 1, 2014.
- Round 51: G.A. (RN) for “Setting up a Sick Room in Your Home”, posted on February 26, 2014.
- Round 52: T.Y. for “Low Moisture Aged Cheese – Hard food for Hard Times”, posted on April 2, 2014
- Round 53: M.H. for “Killing, Dying, and Death – Part I” and “Part II”, which was posted on Sunday, July 27 and Tuesday July 29, 2014
- Round 54: Leo Medic for “Musings of a Law Enforcement Paramedic, Part 1”, “Part 2”, “Part 3”, “Part 4”, and “Part 5”, which was posted on September 2-6, 2014.
- Round 55: ShepardFarmerGeek for “Ebola Unafraid: A Preliminary Ebola Treatment Protocol, Part 1” & “Part 2” as well as “Making Your Own, Part 1” & “Part 2” which was posted on October 27, 28 and November 11, 12, 2014
- Round 56: I.S. for “Motorizing a Country Living Grain Mill for 12-volt Battery and Solar – Part 1” & “Part 2”, which were posted on January 21st and 22nd, 2015.
- Round 57: M.R. for “Your Brain On Paper—How to Write Useful Operating Instructions – Part 1”, “Part 2”, and “Part 3”, which were posted on February 27th and 28th and March 1st, 2015.
- Round 58: Florida Mom for “Our Founding Fathers Were Right” which was posted on April 1st.
- Round 59: Prepperdoc for “Protecting Both Tube and Transistor HF Communications Equipment From E1 EMP Pulse – Part 1” and “Part 2” which was posted on June 5th and 6th.
- Round 60: Iowa Farm Boy for Traversing the Hinterlands – (“Parts 1”, “Part 2”, & “Part 3”) which were posted on three successive days in August of 2015.
- Round 61: TLS for “An Alternative to Calcium Hypochlorite” which was posted on November 21st.
- Round 62: J.R. for for “What’s For Dinner – Part 1”, “Part 2”, “Part 3”, “Part 4”, “Part 5”, and “Part 6”, which was posted on January 8th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 14th, and 15th, 2016
- Round 63: R.C. for “Winter Survival- Part 1”, “Part 2”, and “Part 3”, which was posted on February 23rd, 24th, and 25th, 2016.
- Round 64: B1 for “Crises Preparation- Part 1”, “Part 2”, and “Part 3”, which was posted on April 8th, 9th, and 10th, 2016.
- Round 65: D.D. for “Tracking Dogs- Part 1”, “Part 2”, and “Part 3”, which was posted on June 21st, 22nd, and 23rd, 2016.
- Round 66: J.P.R. for “Quick Reference Manual Regarding Disaster Survival and Recovery on the Road- Part 1”, and “Part 2“ which was posted on September 6th and 9th.