We’ve completed the judging for Round 104 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The prize-winning writers are:
First Prize goes to A Grateful Mechanic, for Career Change to a Durable Trade. (Posted on January 24, 2023.) He will receive the following prizes:
- The photovoltaic power specialists at Quantum Harvest LLC are providing a store-wide 10% off coupon. Depending on the model chosen, this could be worth more than $2000.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any of their one, two, or three-day course (a $1,095 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- Two sets of The Civil Defense Manual, (in two volumes) — a $193 value — kindly donated by the author, Jack Lawson.
Second Prize goes to Reltney McFee, for A 12-Month Preparedness Checklist, posted on January 27-29, 2023. See: Part 1 and Part 2
He will receive the following prizes:
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three-day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- A SIRT STIC AR-15/M4 Laser Training Package, courtesy of Next Level Training, that has a combined retail value of $679
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $150 FRN purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
Third Prize goes to Michael X., for Lessons Learned From a Winter Storm, posted on December 28-29, 2023. See: Part 1 and Part 2. He will receive the following prizes:
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A transferable $150 FRN purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun.
Honorable Mention Prizes
The following 17 articles have earned Honorable Mention. The writers have each been awarded a transferable $100 FRN purchase credit toward the purchase of any antique or percussion replica gun from Elk Creek Company:
Hiding and Tracking by J.M.D. (In four parts.) See: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4.
A Get Home Bag Alternative, by Rick S.
A DIY Masonry Outdoor Cook Stove, by K.R.
Doing Laundry Off-Grid and DIY Soap Recipes, by E.H.
A Young Man’s Preps, by St. Leibowitz. See: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
The Modern Breadcrumb Trail, by BowtiedPartisan
Assessing and Prioritizing Risks, by Francis Marion
Thoughts on a General Purpose AR-15 Rifle, by Steve A. See: Part 1 and Part 2
IT Careers and Rural Living, by M.J.
Upgrade Your Bug Out Bag’s Batteries, by Kevin Berg
Staying Safe Around Big Trucks, by SwampFox
Ready Made Resources Ultimate BOB Versus a Home-Built BOB, by Tunnel Rabbit
Pessimist or a Realist? Our Present Situation, by The Lone Canadian. See: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5.)
Portable Power Systems: Providing Remote Energy, by K.R.
Beginning Bees on a Budget, by St. Funogas
Challenges of Living in a Small Home, by Hollyberry
My Approach to a Semi-Auto Scout Rifle, by Swampfox. See: Part 1 and Part 2