We’ve completed the judging for Round 101 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The prize winners are:
- The photovoltaic power specialists at Quantum Harvest LLC are providing a store-wide 10% off coupon. Depending on the model chosen, this could be worth more than $2000.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any of their one, two, or three-day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three-day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- Two sets of The Civil Defense Manual, (in two volumes) — a $193 value — kindly donated by the author, Jack Lawson.
Second prize goes to R.H. for Providing Pictorial Gear Manuals for Your Group. (Posted July 12, 2022.) He will receive the following prizes:
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime low-cost training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A SIRT STIC AR-15/M4 Laser Training Package, courtesy of Next Level Training, that has a combined retail value of $679
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $150 FRN purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
Third prize goes to Brandon F., for Expedient Reloading. (Posted July 28, 2022.) He will receive the following prizes:
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A LogOX 3-in-1 Forestry MultiTool (a $189 value) and a WoodOx Sling (a $79.95 value), courtesy of LogOx, both made in USA.
- A transferable $100 FRN purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun.
Honorable Mention Prizes:
The writers of each of the following 18 Honorable Mention prize-winning articles have been awarded a transferable $100 FRN purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun:
- Grow Food in Summer That Lasts All Winter, Part 1, and Part 2, by J.T. (June 4-5, 2022.)
- Preparedness Planning: The Business Trip, by Mr. Zipph (June 21, 2022.)
- Food and Treats for Fido, by Mrs. Alaska (June 28, 2022.)
- Task-Driven Preparedness Planning, by J.M. (June 24, 2022.)
- Dehydration, a Killer, by K.B., M.D. (June 22, 2022.)
- When Hunger Happens, by The Domesticated Ranger (June 15, 2022.)
- Review: Pi-Hole Network-Level Ad and Tracker Blocker, by TavernSandwich (June 14, 2022.)
- Homemade Household Products Using Bulk Ingredients, by Mrs. Alaska (June 12, 2022.)
- Assembling Advanced Medical Cabinets, by K.B., M.D. (June 9, 2022.)
- Lessons From a Fire, by R.M. (June 7, 2022.)
- Prepping with Healing Herbs, by Bonnie Blue (June 1, 2022.)
- Semi-Secure Digital Communications for Civilians, by R.T.D. (June 3, 2022.)
- Lessons Learned: A Burst Pipe, by Kim F. (July 28, 2022.)
- Zone 3 Vegetable Gardening, by HollyBerry. (July 24, 2022.)
- Eight Uncommon Canning Techniques, by St. Funogas. (July 20, 2022.)
- Common Headaches in Austere Environments, by DocDogMom (July 19, 2022.)
- Thinking About the Unthinkable, Again – Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, by 3AD Scout. (July 15-18, 2022.)
- First Year of My “Self-Sufficient” Farm – Part 1 & Part 2, by SaraSue. (July 13-14, 2022.)
More than $750,000 worth of prizes have been awarded since we started running this contest. Round 102 begins today and ends on September 30th, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry.
Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how-to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.
I am humbled by the support of so many SurvivalBlog readers sharing their knowledge, for all these years. – JWR