It is my wholehearted opinion that the year 2018 will become the decisive year for the future of life on this planet. Culminating in an all-out nuclear war at worst, or ground war at best. Things as they stand are untenable for much longer. I am not advocating one position or plan over the other with this brief writing and I am not stating that violence or harming others should be considered. I am merely offering a wide variety of situations and possibilities to bring about different thoughts and ideas.
Long Gone is Political Leaders’ Desire to Promote Public Good
Long gone is integrity, honor, and a desire to promote the public good from political leadership, only to be replaced by self-serving hucksters hell bent on regime change, wars, and U.S. hegemony over the entire world. In most cases, the whole purpose of our “prepping” is in anticipation of events caused by this mindless leadership that will ultimately lead to societal breakdown and an “every man for himself” attitude. Unfortunately, while we prepare, others do not. The question for preppers becomes, can we realistically hold down the fort and protect what is ours in an onslaught of humanity bent on taking what we have at all costs?
Those Who Prep Desire To Protect Families and Survive
That’s not to say that those who do not prepare are evil or start out with malicious intent; most people simply have a desire to protect their families and survive. Ignorance or economic disadvantage may have prevented their putting things back. Even if we isolate ourselves at a so-called bug out location, can we honestly keep the hordes of humanity at bay, especially after they may get a whiff of a meal cooking at our place? It seems ludicrous to believe that one can hold off starving hordes from overrunning your location over time. Yes, you can fight them off for a time, but as bodies pile up, disease will become rampant and ultimately you will likely succumb.
Can You Realistically Survive In Place?
If you are determined to stay put out of desire or necessity, can you realistically survive? Can you eat without creating cooking odors? Do you have a renewable source of water? Can your children or infants remain quiet enough so that you can remain undetected? Can you count on outside help to replenish your supplies? The more people that would know of your location, the better chance you would be compromised should that person need a bargaining tool to save their own skin.
Books with Insight Into Bugging Out In Place
A quick read of The Diary Of Anne Frank or Corrie Ten Boom’s The Hiding Place will give you insight into these conditions. In the end, bugging out in place, especially in a large city, is unrealistic. Once discovered, a never ending wave of humanity would be constantly trying to get at you and what you have.
Starving Masses Professing Loyalty To Whomever Can Feed Them
On the other hand, I envision the starving masses willingly professing loyalty to whomever can feed them. This raises another question. Would it make more sense to prep with the mindset of buying loyalty at such a time it is needed? Buying loyalty seems to be the only possible solution to sheltering in place.
As we read in the plethora of post-EMP and other apocalyptic novels, the masses immediately race to local stores to obtain food, water, and anything else that can be thrown into a shopping cart. On the other hand, the hero always seems to be prepped to the gills and can wait out the crisis pretty much undisturbed. If at such a time as lawlessness takes over and law enforcement breaks down, should an armed group strive to protect the finite resources, such as grocery stores, gas stations, and the like? This would be out of necessity, because usually the first to arrive try to take as much as they can possibly carry with no concern for those who follow behind.
Latecomers Enraged At Greed of those Who Came Before
As supplies in said stores dwindle, the latecomers become enraged at the greed of those who came before them, and fights immediately ensue. Being that this is likely the only and last goods the store will ever see, do we better serve ourselves and community by protecting and fairly doling out these now golden assets or simply allow the lucky early birds to go off with their shopping carts full of canned goods?
Vast Majority of Population Wandering to Stave Off Hunger
As we see in various conflicts across the world, the vast majority of the population will wander around in a never ending effort to stave off hunger. It will consume them and become the focal point of their existence. If we liken that scenario to the popular Walking Dead television show, with the dead being the starving masses, a very realistic scenario emerges.
An Elevated Sense of Smell to Detect Food Odors Over Long Distances
A starving person develops an elevated sense of smell and can detect food odors over long distances. Once detected, like in the Walking Dead, they will keep coming and coming and coming. One might think that after a week or two the masses will simply die out, but I see it differently. It could take months before the area becomes devoid of anything edible.
A Barter Economy
The other alternative that many profess to see occurring is the creation of a barter economy after the purge of humanity. This would surely be the ideal situation, but many things would have to be in place for it to come to fruition.
- First, like-minded people would need to be in proximity to one another.
- Both parties would need trade-able assets, and
- Conflicts, which would surely arise, would require someone to mitigate them.
- Value of goods, silver, gold, and other valuables would need an established value.
The best scenario I can liken this to is America during the mountain man era. Each person would bring their trade-able goods to the trading post, and exchange would take place. Over time, small communities may re-establish.
A Frightening Scenario– America Invaded by a Conquering Force
However, another much more frightening scenario can emerge, which little thought is given to. This scenario is America being invaded by a conquering force, much like the Red Dawn movie. For all of our braggadocio of American might, our military has been decimated by previous administrations. It takes time and money to bring it back to force. While that is the least likely scenario, it bears consideration.
Foreign New Generations of Weapons
If the news can be believed, both China and Russia have developed new generations of weapons that can get past our own latest technology. Even North Korea and Iran have done extensive experimentation on the use of EMP weapons. Another insidious weapon that is sitting idly by waiting to be activated is cyber attacks.
In 2014, the Department of Homeland Security issued an alert stating that a variant of the malware program known as Blackenergy had infiltrated the SCADA systems that control critical infrastructure, including oil and gas pipelines, water distribution systems, and the power grid in the U.S.
SCADA stands for Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition.
Blackenergy is the same malware blamed for the recent attack on the Ukrainian power grid, and apparently it is embedded to the point it cannot be removed.
What’s Your Prepping Goal?
In summary, what is the goal of your prepping?
- Do you try to control local resources, buying loyalty and thereby building a small army (based on the number of resources available) or do you simply leave, hunker down, and sit at the window waiting for the inevitable masses of humanity to arrive?
- What about a body disposal plan, should you need it when the time arrives to bury the dead?
- Do you know people you can trust, should your goal be to protect local assets such as grocery stores?
- How will your children be able to cope with the upheaval that an event would bring?
- If your spouse is not on board now, how do you prevent them from simply “shutting down” when the time comes and you need them the most?
- If you plan to shelter in place, do you have access to renewable food, water, and other necessities? Will you tell anyone of your plan to shelter in place?
- How will you keep children and infants quiet, if you hunker down in the city?
- If you stay in place, do you have an emergency exit from your place? Can you kill?
- It sounds like a simple question, but the implications are huge. Can you pull the trigger on another human being who is intent on harming you?
- How will you occupy your time?
- It is easy to think you may start a garden, tend animals, or other nondescript activities, but at any time you could have Ba hundred starving eyes on you.
The bottom line is that whatever we are facing in the near future will not be good. Our personal alternatives are not ideal, and even with all of our prepping, things could come crashing down should a baby cry at an inopportune moment, a sneeze, cough, or even a snore during an otherwise silent night. Remember, we are as strong as our weakest link, be that a child, infant, sick family member, or elderly parent, no matter how much we prep.
If nothing else, I hope this brief offering will help you evaluate all that is important to you and your family.
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
This has been another entry for Round 74 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The nearly $11,000 worth of prizes for this round include:
- A $3000 gift certificate towards a Sol-Ark Solar Generator from Veteran owned Portable Solar LLC. The only EMP Hardened Solar Generator System available to the public.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- Two cases of Meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value), and
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Model 175 Series Solar Generator provided by Quantum Harvest LLC (a $439 value),
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A gift certificate for any two or three-day class from Max Velocity Tactical (a $600 value),
- A transferable certificate for a two-day Ultimate Bug Out Course from Florida Firearms Training (a $400 value),
- A Trekker IV™ Four-Person Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $250 value),
- A $200 gift certificate good towards any books published by PrepperPress.com,
- RepackBox is providing a $300 gift certificate to their site.
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances, and
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
Round 74 ends on January 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.