Do you have leftover candy canes after the holidays? Do you really want to store them until next year? This recipe is a yummy way to use up candy canes that weren’t eaten! Besides, since they are baked and a calorie is a unit of heat, the calories are just baked right out of them! (Editor’s note: The wife isn’t buying that, but at least I tried.)
- ½ cup butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. baking cocoa
¼ cup milk
1 ¾ cup confectioners sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
Candy cane crushed to small pieces (red and white is prettiest)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely before icing them.
For the Icing:
- Combine butter, cocoa, and milk in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Cool slightly; add confectioners sugar and vanilla; beat well.
- Use a spoon to cover over one or two cookies at a time, add crushed candy cane quickly before the icing sets up. (It really isn’t an icing; its fudge.)
Yield is about 2 dozen.
o o o
Useful Recipe and Cooking Links:
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!