Regarding the Odds ‘n Sods entry last month: Owen Geiger has several earthbag shelter designs that are inexpensive but labor intensive and that are an option for radiation protection.
- Earthbag Survival Shelter September 20, 2010 by Owen Geiger [I would like to see this design in an above ground configuration.]
- Triple Dome Survival Shelter April 12, 2011 by Owen Geiger
- Mother Earth News Earthbag Dome July 15, 2009 by Owen Geiger
- Step-By-Step Earthbag Building [YouTube Video Play list] Earthbag Natural Building, Last updated on Jul 1, 2014
The entrances need to be modified and extended for that protective ninety degree turn. Also, more earth berm may be needed for shielding.
Readers might want to stockpile some basic components for use in the construction of expedient shelters during a national crisis, like Cresson H. Kearny suggested in his book. They would need concrete, re-bar, stucco, and plaster for a more permanent structure.
Resources can be found online.
- 18×30 Woven Polypropylene Sand Bags With Ties & UV Protection (1000 Bags)
- Poly Sandbags, 18” x 30”, 75 lb. Bag, White, 1000/Pack k
- Bekaert 118230/177495 18 Gauge 4-Point Class 3 Barbed Wire
You’ll also need two gallon buckets, shovels, tampers, plastic sheeting, and more…
From the readers, I would like to know of a source for 2-gal plastic cement pails and 6×6 steel tampers. [8×8 gets a little heavy.]
Keep in mind these shelters are duel use and can be used for the temperate storage of food and supplies, among other uses.