- 1 (1 lb) can of sauerkraut
- Sliced corned beef brisket (not canned)
- 1/4 lb Swiss cheese, sliced
- Sliced Rye Bread
- Sandwich spread or Thousand island dressing
- Drain the sauerkraut in a sieve and then place on paper towels until it is very dry.
- Place the sauerkraut in the bottom of a pot.
- Arrange a layer of corned beef slices on the sauerkraut and top with cheese slices.
- Simmer on low heat for about 3 hours, but do not let it scorch.
- Toast slices of bread and spread generously with the sandwich spread.
- Spoon the ingredients from the pot onto the toasted bread, maintaining layers of sauerkraut, meat and cheese.
- Serve open-faced or closed.
o o o
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!