I am still making these pickles from the original recipe cut out of the Wichita (KS) Eagle newspaper from Sunday 10.29.89 (the newsprint is getting quite yellow and brittle), which is definite proof that this is a recipe that has stood the tests of time. These are what most call a “bread and butter” type pickle, and as the name says, they are truly excellent, as well as being excellently easy.
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. mustard seed
- ¼ tsp. celery seed
- ½ c. cider vinegar
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 cucumbers, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- In small bowl or measuring pitcher whisk together salt, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed, vinegar, and sugar.
- Mix cucumbers and onions in separate microwave-safe bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers and onions.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high power 5 minutes. Stir well and return to microwave 5 minutes more.
- Cool, pour into quart jar and refrigerate.
Pickles are ready to eat when thoroughly chilled. Makes 1 quart.
o o o
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlogreaders? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!