I was in a Social Security office today that is located in a city that is regularly ranked by the FBI as being one of the “top five safest American cities” (with a population over 100,000). I do not believe that the city has ever fallen out of the top ten safest American cities in the last 20 years.
Social Security Office Security Guard Armed with 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol
There to maintain order in the Social Security office and to keep a careful watch on the gray-haired, white-haired, and blue-haired sexagenarians, septuagenarians, and octogenarians was a security guard armed with a 9mm semi-automatic pistol. Of course, these Baby Boomers and this crowd from the Silent Generation are widely reported and well-known to be a boisterous, rambunctious, and unruly segment of the population, one that routinely poses a clear and present danger to public safety and the foundations of the Republic. This group is a composed of “sly and cunning creatures who bear watching closely”.
Children, Most Precious Resource, But Senior Citizens Get More Protection
I was surprised. I have been told by so many “talking heads”, since the shooting in Parkland, that our children were “our most precious resource”. Yet, this crowd of senior citizens gets more protection than local elementary schools and high schools? Seriously? If so, why aren’t they better protected? Judges and lawyers are protected by armed security in courthouses, even in the courthouses where no criminal courts are contained. I just dropped the missus off at the airport. I passed cops in front of the terminal, and, of course, there is always armed security at the metal detectors.
High School Resource Officer
Curious, I called the high school nearest me. I asked if there was any law enforcement presence there. They told me that a Sheriff’s Deputy sometimes came and made presentations. I said, “No, I mean full-time.” The person told me that a “school resource officer” would split his time going back and forth to another high school. I asked if he was armed. She said that she didn’t know.
Teachers With Firearms
I was engaged in a discussion with a long-time friend. He said something to the effect that he would not have trusted his teachers with firearms when he was in school. I responded that my American history teacher played football for Northwestern and that I am confident that he could have handled a gun. I expect that the football coach who died saving kids at Parkland could have used a gun, and that with his dying breath he probably wished that he had a gun that day.
Firearms Training, Schools No Longer Low Hanging Fruit
I agree that the average teacher can’t handle a gun safely. Too many of them are plainly and simply nurturer types (only) who find firearms abhorrent. I wouldn’t trust some teachers in many parts of the country with an electric carving knife. Yet, having three or four teachers who volunteer to undergo firearms training out of a staff of 30 at a school would greatly enhance school security and end the “gun free zone” assurance that crazy predator-types depend on. Schools could no longer be confidently depended on to be the low hanging fruit.
Leftists Not Willing to Admit Guns Useful
No. Leftists are not willing to admit that guns can be used for anything useful, whether it is for self defense or other things. They fear that it will weaken their position.
Their mentality is simply to “let the authorities handle it,” which is the classic nanny state solution by manhood-challenged Europeans. (Britain has just passed a law that bans the ordering of knives by mail. Yes, the descendants of those who could say, “The sun never sets on the British empire,” have turned into a nation of sheep, and sheep of the weakest breed, at that.)
Teachers and Concealed Firearms
In the last few weeks the Florida legislature approved the carrying of concealed firearms by teachers who underwent training. The Broward County School Board, however, has just voted to keep in place the ban on teachers carrying firearms. What? So much for the concern for our “most precious resource.”
Examples of Mentality That Pervades Education System
Here are a couple of examples of the effete mentality that pervades the education system today.
In the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, a school district in a suburb of the northwest Pennsylvania city of Erie is arming its 500 teachers with baseball bats, reports CBS Erie affiliate WSEE-TV. “It is the last resort,” said Millcreek Schools Superintendent William Hall, “but it is an option and something we want people to be aware of.” According to Hall, the 16-inch bats were distributed to each teacher following an in-service training day on how to respond to school shootings.
A rural school district in Pennsylvania is arming teachers and students with buckets of rocks as a last resort should an armed intruder burst in, the superintendent said Friday. Every classroom in the district about 90 miles northwest of Philadelphia has a 5-gallon bucket of river stones, said Blue Mountain School District Superintendent David Helsel.
As the old expression goes, “You really can’t make this ____ up!”
Trying to Take Your Guns Away
You probably can’t count how many times you have heard Leftists say in the past few weeks, “Nobody is trying to take your guns away.” These Leftists are liars, or they are uninformed ignoramuses. According to a Gallup Poll in 2016, 27% of Americans favored a ban on handguns.
Coming for the Second and the First Amendments
First, they’re coming for the Second Amendment. Second, they’re coming for the First Amendment. Think not?
Food for Thought
Here’s some food for thought about Leftists from a blog by thezman:
Their embrace of reason was always like their embrace of liberal democracy, socialism and social reform. It is as a means to an end. Free speech was a bus they rode from their position outside the academy, to a position atop the academy. Once they got to their destination, they got off the free speech bus. That’s certainly true of their embrace of science and reason. Once they gained power, they peeled the Darwin fish off the car.
As a wise person said, “It’s really not about gun control. It’s about population control.”
A Cultural War
We’re in a culture war. Your means to provide for the defense of yourself and your family in times of trouble are being threatened by efforts to reduce your right to own firearms. The Left plans to win the fight by taking an inch at a time, a slippery slope approach to their ultimate goal.
Fighting the Battle
If a person who owns and wants to keep firearms is not a member of the NRA or a similar association at the state level (or both), it is because he wants a free ride from those who are fighting the battle. Such individuals are like those freeloaders who wait for someone else to finish reading their newspaper each day but who would never think of purchasing a newspaper themselves. I hope that none of the readers of this blog are of that ilk. However, I doubt that this is the case.
Join the fight! Speak out! Make a difference!
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
This has been another entry for Round 76 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The nearly $11,000 worth of prizes for this round include:
- A $3000 gift certificate towards a Sol-Ark Solar Generator from Veteran owned Portable Solar LLC. The only EMP Hardened Solar Generator System available to the public.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- Two cases of meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value), and
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Model 175 Series Solar Generator provided by Quantum Harvest LLC (a $439 value),
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A gift certificate for any two or three-day class from Max Velocity Tactical (a $600 value),
- A transferable certificate for a two-day Ultimate Bug Out Course from Florida Firearms Training (a $400 value),
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- A $200 gift certificate good towards any books published by PrepperPress.com,
- RepackBox is providing a $300 gift certificate to their site.
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances, and
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
Round 76 ends on May 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.