I am planning to hire a contracted Managing Editor for SurvivalBlog, sometime in the next two months. While I plan to continue on as Editor, I need some assistance with day-to-day editorial work. This position could be your ticket to living in the Boonies.
The locale for the new Managing Editor position will be “virtual”, meaning that our new hire can live and work anywhere on the planet where there is a stable high speed Internet connection. The pay for this 30 hour per-week contracted position will be up to $40,000 per year, depending on the candidate’s experience. Hiring preference will be given to disabled veterans. Good health, mental stability, an eye for detail, and a commitment to dedicate several years to this position are musts.
Work part-time on a flexible schedule, five days per week to:
1.) Schedule, assemble, edit, and post the majority of SurvivalBlog’s daily blog content.
2.) Receive, evaluate, and edit reader submitted letters and articles.
3.) Write topical articles, as time permits.
4.) Perform general correspondence secretarial duties. (Tactfully answering reader and advertiser queries, et cetera.)
Note: The selected candidate must have the desire to maintain the established editorial viewpoint of SurvivalBlog, such as the philosophical, religious, political stance outlined in JWR’s Precepts page and in my other writings.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Attributes
- Strong editing skills. (This means at least two years of full-time editing experience or four years of part-time editing experience, preferably with an on-line publication.)
- In-depth knowledge of survivalist/prepper topics and terminology.
- English as your first language.
- A keen eye for detail and wise discernment.
- Excellent grammar, spelling, punctuation, and general journalistic knowledge.
- Ability to edit writing that comes from amateurs to make it look professional, lucid, and even eloquent.
- Several years of experience with writing and producing clean HTML-formatted content (either editing raw HTML, or via editing software.)
- Familiarity with content management system (CMS) software, including Movable Type Pro.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word.
- Willingness to meet daily deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team, remotely. (You will be handing work back and forth to other editors.)
- Ability to work on several small projects simultaneously.
- Unfailing tact and discretion.
- Keen ability to spot fluff, rants, self-promotion, seminar letters, paid link placement, and other attempted outside manipulation.
- Willingness to conform to SurvivalBlog’s writing and editorial style.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule for five days a week and occasionally six days a week.
Desirable (But Not Crucial) Skills and Knowledge:
- Familiarity with Dreamweaver software.
- Familiarity with Fetch or other file transfer software.
- Familiarity with database software such as SQL.
- Familiarity with version control procedures and software.
- A background in the medical field.
- A background in electronics.
- An interest in global politics and economics.
- Solid knowledge of firearms and shooting terminology.
- Some experience with spreadsheet software, such as Excel.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Illustrator software.
This position will be a strictly “work for hire” contracted position with no health benefits, with employment “at will.”
If you are presently available 30 hours a week and meet the qualifications described, then please send a cover letter and a detailed resume (with links to web pages that you have edited, in lieu of portfolio), via e-mail.
Note that because I’m likely to receive dozens or even hundreds of resumes and cover letters, I will probably not be able to send a personal reply to each.
Thanks in advance, to those who respond! – JWR