Just wanted to give your readers a taste of what our Australian “Gun Control Act” has meant to law abiding Aussie shooters in light of the articles on “Preparing for the Inevitable American Gun Ban”.
- A firearms license is required for all transactions involving firearms, firearm parts (not accessories) and all ammunition sales (license number and amount of ammunition purchased is recorded).
- All semi automatic firearms are restricted to an extremely regulated and difficult to obtain Primary Producers License (regardless of caliber).
- All handgun licenses are for competition shooting only (or Security Industry), handgun magazines are restricted to 10 rounds maximum, calibers above .357, .38 and 9mm are restricted to members of clubs that shoot silhouette competitions, and range attendance cards must be completed with mandated minimum number of shoots attended per year and per “style” of shoot as your handgun purpose is listed for (IPSC, Western Action, Silhouette etc) and forwarded to Firearms Branch of the State of residence.
- Semi automatic and pump action shotguns are again restricted to extremely regulated and difficult to obtain license classes.
- Magazine capacity limits on bolt, pump and lever action rifles. Aftermarket magazines restricted to select Brands/Names rather than function, appearance etc.
- Conversion kits (ie .45 to .22 caliber) are recorded as a separate firearms not as two parts of the same.
- Each state has differing requirements for storage, magazine capacities, license conditions, and one state has a ban on “military style or military appearance” firearms which has immediate seizure of firearms and no allowance to change the stock on a Ruger 77/22 back to a “standard” rifle stock from a “military appearance” one, or then to sell that stock interstate where it is legal.
- Firearms are not allowed for personal protection or defense in any form. Lawful, licensed firearm users that have held armed intruders for arrest with their unloaded, lawful firearm have had all their firearms seized and confiscated (including firearms being licensed to their spouse/partner) and have faced months of legal battles for the return of their firearms. If a single firearm is stolen – every firearm is seized by Police regardless if it is locked in a separate safe in a separate room, until their investigation is concluded.
- Firearms legislation contains deliberately vague terms such as aforementioned “military appearance” and the term “fit and proper person”. If the Police decide you should not have firearms they will use any history of speeding offenses, parking tickets etc. to demonstrate that you have little to no regard for the law, and therefore are not a “fit and proper person” to hold a firearms license.
- As per usual we face a hostile media who allow Gun Control Advocates unrestricted open forum discussions to put forward their views, opinions and “facts”, and when their “facts” are exposed as lies no retractions are made or one sentence is buried in a report or in the back pages of a newspaper to correct those “facts”.
Please, please, please be vigilant and call for restrictive gun laws and control measures to be repealed, value your freedoms enshrined in The Constitution, and don’t ever let things get to the stage that they are here in Oz.
Cheers, – Aussie Shooter.