On January 31, 1606, Guy Fawkes was executed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot against parliament and King James.
Also on this day in 1872, American author Pearl Zane Grey was born. He was best know for his popular adventure western novels, including Riders of the Purple Sage, which was his best-selling book. As a boy, Hugh could often be found behind a copy of one of Zane Grey’s books, because he was an avid reader and any Zane Grey book was a favorite.
o o o
Please contact your congresscritters and insist that they OPPOSE H.R.4760 – Securing America’s Future Act of 2018. This omnibus bill mandates the development of a new biometric National ID card that would be universally issued. – JWR
o o o
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today features another entry for Round 74 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The nearly $11,000 worth of prizes for this round include:
- A $3000 gift certificate towards a Sol-Ark Solar Generator from Veteran owned Portable Solar LLC. The only EMP Hardened Solar Generator System available to the public.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- Two cases of Meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value), and
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Model 175 Series Solar Generator provided by Quantum Harvest LLC (a $439 value),
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A gift certificate for any two or three-day class from Max Velocity Tactical (a $600 value),
- A transferable certificate for a two-day Ultimate Bug Out Course from Florida Firearms Training (a $400 value),
- A Trekker IV™ Four-Person Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $250 value),
- A $200 gift certificate good towards any books published by PrepperPress.com,
- RepackBox is providing a $300 gift certificate to their site.
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances, and
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
Round 74 ends on January 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.
OK about HR4760. It will get the same treatment my passport did with their new chip tracking device imbedded into the back cover. It will be immediacy Microwaved until I see the sparks and the cover smolder. Funny my wife and I went to china and every time they try to scan our passports they say “it’s not reading” and simply type in the number manually. This means Big Bother can’t track us.
Same for this inconvenience. It will be nuked.
In regards to the call to oppose H.R. 4760 and the associated article “Congress Quietly Pushing Bill to Require National Biometric ID for ‘ALL Americans’” published by The Free Thought Project.
The premise of the article, that it will establish a national ID card for all americans, appears to be false.
The following is on page 125 of the bill (it is related to SEC. 1103. EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION SYSTEM):
‘‘(8) LIMITATION ON USE OF THE VERIFICATION SYSTEM AND ANY RELATED SYSTEMS.—
‘‘(A) NO NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION CARD.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize, directly or indirectly, the issuance or use of national identification cards or the establishment of a national identification card.”
This bill does address changes that will be made to existing law (specifically, The DHS Act of 2002) that are related to a “Biometric exit data system”. It seems to me this is a valid concern related to “exit” (i.e., leaving the US). How do we know is someone has left the US? I used to travel internationally very frequently, mostly to a (friendly) South American country. I obviously had a US passport. Every time I entered that country, I went thru their immigration and had my passport stamped. AND every time I left that country, I had to go back thru their immigration and have my passport stamped. Their was a process, a place, and a system whereby that country knew when I entered and when I exited their country–made perfect sense to me. Know, when I returned to the US, I would go through our immigration (often my passport was NOT stamped, for reasons I do not know). What always confused me was on all of these trips, I never had to “leave/exit” the US when I went on the trip. You would never know I actually left the US (and as I mentioned, on several occasions, you’d never know I returned). I can understand that some would think, “well, you’re American (I am) and free to travel and it’s not the government’s business if and when you do.” But, what about visitors to the US? If we don’t have an “exit system” how do we know when people leave? We don’t (obviously the “honor system” doesn’t work). It seems to me that this is exactly what this bill is trying to address.
Thanks for the link, I hope to read your reccomendation to my young Son.
i love zane grey books….
I love Zane Grey.
I hate National Identification Card Biometric or not does not matter!
I under stand the need for a drivers license and/or a state I.D. card for voting. The I.D. for voting makes sense we can not have non-citizens voting when they have not earned this privilege/right.
I WILL NOT TOLERATE VOTER FRAUD OF ANY TYPE!!!!
The same argument that is made to keep and bear arms, that new laws infringing on our rights only serve to make criminals out of law abiding citizens while criminals will continue to be criminals and gets guns on the Black Market Illegally.
By way of comparison a illegal alien can still be hired by the same people/criminals who hire them today and like today little or nothing will be done to hamstring them after this so called “New Law To Not Be Able To Illegally Hire Illegal Aliens.” They will be able to continue acting out there criminal actions because they are criminals and do not give a DAM about our laws. In the mean time if any American Citizen does not have this “Electronic Ball And Chain” (EBAC) we run the risk of what?, no job, jail, illegally fined, or worse jail and or prison?
I SAY NO!!!!
I WILL NOT BE TRACKED AS IF SOME LOST DOG OR STOLEN HORSE AND I SURE AS H— AM NOT A CRIMINAL RELEASED ON BAIL OR ON PROBATION/PAROLE!!!!
I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS FORM OF TYRANNY EVER!!!!
God Bless us all and the Republic of the United States of America !!!!
Guy Fawkes was not executed. He died falling off the scaffold he was due to be hanged on. The fall broke his neck thus saving him from the agony of the hanging, drawing and quartering he had been sentenced to….