October 3rd is the anniversary of the Mogadishu, Somalia raid. The 18 Americans killed were:
MSG Gary Gordon, 1st SFOD-D
SFC Randy Shughart, 1st SFOD-D
SSG Daniel Busch, 1st SFOD-D
SFC Earl Fillmore, 1st SFOD-D
MSG Timothy Martin, 1st SFOD-D
CPL Jamie Smith, 3/75 Ranger
SPC James Cavaco, 3/75 Ranger
SGT Casey Joyce, 3/75 Ranger
PFC Richard Kowaleski, 3/75 Ranger
SGT Dominic Pilla, 3/75 Ranger
SGT Lorenzo Ruis, 3/75 Ranger
SSG William Cleveland, Jr. 160th SOAR
SSG Thomas Field, 160th SOAR
CW4 Raymond Frank, 160th SOAR
CW3 Clifton Wolcott, 160th SOAR
CW2 Donovan Briley, 160th SOAR
SGT Cornell Houston, 10th MTN DIV
PFC James Martin, 10th MTN DIV
The Somalis killed were unnamed and un-numbered, but estimates range from 315 to 2,000 KIAs.
The events of October 3, 1993 were memorialized in the movie Black Hawk Down.
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today we present another entry for Round 97 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The prizes for this round include:
- The photovoltaic power specialists at Quantum Harvest LLC are providing a store-wide 10% off coupon. Depending on the model chosen, this could be worth more than $2000.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any of their one, two, or three-day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three-day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- Two sets of The Civil Defense Manual, (in two volumes) — a $193 value — kindly donated by the author, Jack Lawson.
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, that have a combined retail value of $589,
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- Naturally Cozy is donating a “Prepper Pack” Menstrual Kit. This kit contains 18 pads and it comes vacuum-sealed for long term storage or slips easily into a bugout bag. The value of this kit is $220.
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $150 purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
More than $725,000 worth of prizes have been awarded since we started running this contest. Round 97 ends on November 30th, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how-to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.