On June 3rd, 1539, Spanish explorer Hernando De Soto claimed Florida for Spain.
June 3rd can also be considered the “birthday” of the U.S. Army. (It was established by Congress on June 3rd, 1784.)
Also on this day, in 1911, actress Ellen Corby was born. She is often remembered for her role as Grandma Walton, in the television series The Waltons.
On Tuesday afternoon, I heard from a couple of readers that the Western Rifle Shooters Association (WRSA) web site had been shut down by WordPress — ostensibly for “content violations”. The WRSA site has always been outspokenly pro-2A. I find the timing of when their site was axed very suspicious. You see, most recently, they re-posted the late Mike Vanderboegh’s serialized book titled Absolved, all in one piece. Apparently that raised the ire and invoked The Author-I-Tahh of the leftist, anti-gun WordPress gnomes.
Other conservative and libertarian people and organizations that use WordPress for site hosting should take note, and make immediate plans to migrate to other servers! Be proactive, or you too may end up “down the memory hole.”
Fear not. The WRSA’s primary writer has already begun posting on GAB. They can’t stop the signal!
Reader R.L. wrote ask why we no longer post a banner advertisement or generic link to Amazon.com. To explain: Amazon has discontinued “Amazon Stores”. We are still in the Amazon Associates program, but we are no longer allowed to post a generic “Associate” link for Amazon ordering. We can only advertise individual products, with links. But the good news is that if you click on any blue Amazon product link at SurvivalBlog and then search and order it or anything else from Amazon, then we still earn a commission. So, for example, if you see a link to book that we recommend — such as The Encyclopedia of Country Living — and then from that page you find something else on Amazon that you want to order, then we will still earn a commission. Each Wednesday, we post new recommendations, many of which include Amazon links. Henceforth, I will try to include at least one Amazon link for you to use, either in my Top Note, or down in the Quote of The Day. Thanks! – JWR
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today we present another entry for Round 89 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The prizes for this round include:
- A gift certificate from Quantum Harvest LLC (up to a $2,200 value) good for 12% off the purchase of any of their sun-tracking models, and 10% off the purchase price of any of their other models.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one hour consultation on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- Naturally Cozy is donating a “Prepper Pack” Menstrual Kit. This kit contains 18 pads and it comes vacuum sealed for long term storage or slips easily into a bugout bag. The value of this kit is $220.
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $150 purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
Round 89 ends on July 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.