Today we remember February 1st, 2003, when the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated over Texas and Louisiana as it reentered Earth’s atmosphere, killing all seven crew members.
Also today, we recognize the birthday of Christian economist Dr. Gary North. (Born, 1942.) North is a prolific writer on Christian Reconstruction and economics topics.
As promised, I’ve just launched my web-based mail order business, selling pre-1899 guns. It is called Elk Creek Company. The ElkCreekCompany.net web site is now up and running, and the attached credit card processing system is ready to take your orders. Consult your state and local laws before ordering. But in most cases these Federally-exempt antiques can be mailed right to your door with no paperwork! There are more than 74 antique guns listed, that will be sold first come, first serve. Some of these have been in my personal collection for more than 20 years. Nearly all of them are chambered in cartridges that are still factory made.
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today we present the first entry for Round 87 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The more than $10,000 worth of prizes for this round include:
- A gift certificate from Quantum Harvest LLC (up to a $2,200 value) good for 12% off the purchase of any of their sun-tracking models, and 10% off the purchase price of any of their other models.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A $300 purchase credit for any of the products from EMPShield.com
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one hour consultation on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
- Good2GoCo.com is providing a $400 purchase credit at regular prices for the prize winner’s choice of either Wise Foods or Augason long term storage foods, in stackable buckets.
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
Round 87 ends on March 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.
Elk Creek has some awesome guns! Imagine if these guns could talk…
Mr. Rawles, best wishes with your new endeavor.
The Elk Creek website looks great. Ditto on Montana Guy’s comment, if only these guns could talk.
I was inspired to get my grandpa’s old antique guns out, especially his Model 1886 Winchester that has an interesting family story behind it. There’s a Winchester Model 1887 10 gauge with a fairly low serial number (mfg in 1888) but unfortunately, no family story with that one so I’m not sure where he got it. These are both beautiful treasures, it’s a shame to keep them locked away instead of on display.
Good luck with the website, several are marked sold already so looks like you’re off to a great start.
It is Febuary 1, 2020. There is almost no snow. and lots of mud. I checked the garden and there is Swiss Chard coming out of the ground. If you are anticipating colder weather in the future, Swiss Chard is a winner! I set up a haste green house to encourage it. As these are sprouting from existing roots, we should have a seed crop this year. Swiss Chard only produces seed every other year. This is a leafy green that grows rapidly producing lots of nutrition.
It’s been 40 years since I studied this kind of thing, and I am in no way qualified to have an opinion, so I offer a layman’s argument. Ask the Holy Spirit to guild you.
I would like to recommend two videos that I believe are worthy of consideration. We do not have very much information, yet we can see the extremes measures China has responded with to control this virus. Never in history have more than 50 million persons been quarantined, their crowded streets emptied, and industrial centers been shut down. Personally I do not need to hear the official death count to know how very serious this virus is. Actions speak louder than words.
Slowly tidbits of information and early analysis can give us some kind of idea, and early warning that this is not ordinary flu we can ignore. Us older folks like myself, are already sick with this or that, so we must be extra cautious. I will self quarantine very soon. It will be a month or two before we have substantive information, then perhaps we can end our quarantine. A virus is smaller than a micron. Masks or respirators, even a level 4 bio-hazard suit will provide the average person with little real protection. It may or may not be airborne to a greater or lessor degree. It is prudent to assume the worse, and pray for the best.
I believe the thinking behind these videos is sound, and the information worthy of consideration. I’ve also seen comments, and analysis from geneticists about one sample of code that might support the speculation offered here. This virus appears to be closely related to Bat SARS, and has an HIV-1 insert. This genetic code may, or may not express itself immediately or ever. However, there is a few ancillary reports that the virus already has some these characteristics. Of course there is no authoritative confirmation, so at best, this is conjecture based upon unsubstantiated information. There is as much reason to believe that this potentially deadly pandemic on par, or worse than the Spanish Flu of 1918, as there is reason to believe that is it just another flu bug. You decide.
Why The White House Just Declared A National Health Emergency
The link provided was broken. Try this one.