Note From JWR:

We were recently invited to a friend’s Christmas party. The hosts have a nice sturdy log house, heated entirely by a wood stove and lit entirely by propane mantle lamps. When some of the refreshments were accidentally spilled on the carpet, one of the host’s kids went outside to power up the generator so that they could run the vacuum cleaner. I gather that their generator is reserved only for such “emergencies.” Something tells me that if and when TEOTWAWKI occurs, it won’t be much of a life-changing event for that family.