We just completed the judging for Round 81 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest, and have a list of the winners. But first, before we list the winning articles, I have a special announcement:
A New Prize!
Starting today, with the advent of Round 82, et sequentia for just the next 10 rounds of the contest (that is, for the next 20 months) we’ve added a new prize of considerable value. A SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous is donating All-Inclusive Diamond Lifetime Memberships to the Front Sight firearms training school in Nevada. Members at the Diamond level are entitled to enrollment at any class of their choice at Front Sight Nevada with no restrictions on repeating classes, free of charge, for life! Diamond level members even have guaranteed placement in any course with two weeks’ advance enrollment. They also receive a 40% discount on products at the Front Sight Pro Shop. The Diamond level memberships have been sold out, but the donor of these memberships–who is an Ambassador level Front Sight member–has very generously granted 10 Lifetime Diamond memberships to SurvivalBlog. One membership will be added to the Second Prize package.
There are presently nearly 50 different different classes offered at Front Sight Nevada. They range from concealed carry and edged weapons, to long range rifle shooting, and even submachinegun classes.
Our sincere thanks to that “SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous”!
And The Winners Are…
Getting back to the Round 81 prize winners. We’ve completed the judging. All of the top three prizes went to multi-part articles. The winners are:
First Prize: Nivek, for New Zealand: Thoughts After Seven Years
Note: Because he presumably still lives in New Zealand, some prizes may have to be substituted or transferred to relatives or friends in the United States, and some shipping costs may not be included. Working that out will be up to the prize donors and Nivek.
Second Prize: The Jewish Prepper, for How NOT to Build a Retreat
Third Prize: GritsInMontana, for From the Deep South to Northern Rockies
Honorable Mention Articles (the writers will receive $30 Amazon gift cards)
- It is Time to Build Several ARs, by D.B.
- Food and Sundries Storage by Pete Thorsen
- Time and Planning, by 3ADscout
The prizes for Round 82 will be:
- A $3000 gift certificate towards a Sol-Ark Solar Generator from Veteran owned Portable Solar LLC. The only EMP Hardened Solar Generator System available to the public.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Model 175 Series Solar Generator provided by Quantum Harvest LLC (a $439 value),
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one hour consultation on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances.
Round 82 ends on May 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.
Get your article written and send it in soon. The top three prize winners will share more than $11,000 worth of prizes.