3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup raisins
2 cups dried cherries
2 generous cups chopped peanuts
2/3 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup wheat germ
1 5oz. can ice cream nut topping mixture (optional)
- Combine brown sugar, honey, and water. Bring to a boil, remove from the stove, add vanilla and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In separate bowl, combine oats and coconut; pour out onto a sprayed or greased, large, baking pan, and bake in 325 degree oven until nice and toasty brown, stirring mixture every few minutes so it doesn’t burn.
- Pour oat mixture into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients (raisins, cherries, peanuts, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and optional ice cream nut topping mixture); toss well.
- Add liquid mixture to oat mixture; toss well again.
- Re-spray your baking pan. Place mixture back into your baking pan and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Place in a large container. Keeps well in the refrigerator for two weeks.
o o o
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!