Here is my grandmother Upton’s shortcake recipe. This is fantastic with strawberries or peaches. Of course, Grandma served this with some real whipped cream. It serves six.
- 2 cups of flour
- 5 tsp. (rounded) baking powder
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 5 Tbsp. Crisco, butter, or margarine
- 3 tsp. sugar
- slightly less than 3/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, blend together the dry ingredients with the Crisco and sugar.
- Stir in the whole milk.
- Using a fork, press mixture into a 9″ round cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17 minutes. Take a fork and lift under the shortcake; it should be brown. If brown on bottom, then it is done and is ready to remove from the oven.
- Serve with fruit or topping of choice and optional whipped cream.
o o o
Useful Recipe and Cooking Links:
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!