This somewhat weird-sounding salad is fabulous. It makes too much for any but a very large family to finish; you may want to reserve it for covered-dish dinners and potlucks. Also, when you take it to your occasion, tuck a couple of copies of the recipe in your pocket or purse, because you WILL be asked for the recipe.
- 2 boxes (8.5 oz.) Jiffy brand corn muffin mix (or any cornbread recipe that makes an 9×13 cake-pan full)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (or 1 can 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. favorite ranch dressing
- Ahead of time prepare and bake cornbread according to directions and cool.
- Cut one 3×3” slice out and set aside.
- In glass 9×13” casserole/cake dish place half the remaining cornbread, crumbled into medium-ish chunks.
- Sprinkle over with 1 can of beans, 1 can of corn, ½ the bell pepper, ½ the tomatoes, ½ the onion, and ½ the cheese. (At this point you may want to give everything a good press-down with your clean hand, to allow it all to fit.)
- Drizzle ½ the ranch dressing over all.
- Repeat layers.
- Crumble reserved piece of cornbread to fine crumbs and sprinkle over top of salad.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
Makes 8-12 servings.
o o o
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlogreaders? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!