Carbs are easy to store, but mixing them with protein and flavors make mealtime more than another item on the daily task list. This recipe is named after our dog-shaped vacuum cleaner that went crazy when I prepared this and enjoyed the “accidental” dropping of ingredients on the floor.
- 8oz ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 foil packet of mushroom gravy mix
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 box of macaroni and cheese
- Boil the macaroni noodles in a pot of water until soft; lightly drain and transfer to a holding bowl.
- In the same pot, toss in the ground beef and onion, using the fat to cook it all down.
- When the meat is browned, add the cooked noodles back in and add the remaining ingredients (including the dry cheese packet).
- Simmer over low heat. Add water to achieve the consistency you desire.
- Eat with a happy tummy.
My advice is to get this recipe to the point where you like it before testing out SHTF adjustments, below:
- Use rehydrated onions
- Instead of milk and powdered mushroom gravy mix, use a can of mushroom soup
- Instead of ground beef, use a 10oz can of meat; this could be chicken, too
- Dish can also be cooked in a RoadPro RPSL-350 12 volt crock pot for off-grid use. (Yes, I tried this, and it took 2 hours total)
DD in Colorado
o o o
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlogreaders? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!