Everyone will have a different perspective on this. Here are some ramblings:
Things are rapidly downshifting in greater Seattle. In less than seven days. There are strong parallels with the 2011 B-movie Contagion.
- Numerous employers are telling much of their workforce to work from home through the end of March (I expect that to continue beyond March…). Amazon, Microsoft, Puget Sound Energy (utility), Russell Investments. Those are four big ones that I am aware of as of now.
- The Northshore School District just closed through the end of March, and will attempt to begin Remote Learning on Monday, March 9. What will those working parents do if they cannot work from home?
- Restaurants are emptying out. People are trying to be positive but getting nervous.
On the virus from what has been observed worldwide to date:
- 85-90% who get the virus will experience minor symptoms.
- 10-15% who get the virus will get hit hard, likely with respiratory-related issues such as Viral Pneumonia. I sincerely hope you or your loved ones are not in this statistic.
- The local healthcare system will crack. There will be too many people needing significant care.
- In Seattle they’re already bought a motel and are talking about mini houses. I think this is the typical Bravo Sierra approach in Seattle. Seattle should call it for what it is, and be prepared to commandeer school gyms to setup MASH-like wards.
- In a perverse way, if you are going to get really sick from this virus then it would be better to be an ‘early adopter’ such that you likely get better medical care.
- A person is naive if they think ‘it can’t happen here’. It’s on this continent and spreading. It won’t be like a tornado, but watch between now and the end of March.
- There will be economic impacts. Airlines, hotels, restaurants, etc. may take the first hits. How might this impact your income and family?
- There will be supply-chain impacts. China has been stopped for a while. Even if things go well on this continent you’ll start to see some unavailability of seemingly-random things. For example, China produces many ingredients for multiple medicines, so don’t be surprised if things go Tango Uniform for a while for a medicine you or a loved one needs.
Regards, – Peter