The following recipe for Grain & Dried Fruit Salad is from SurvivalBlog reader D.J.:
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup each of three of your favorite dried fruits (such as raisins, golden raisins, chopped prunes, chopped dried apricots, or dried cranberries)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large saucepan, bring the 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Add barley and wild rice.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-to-65 minutes — until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook basmati rice according to the usual directions.
- Cool the barley/wild rice and the basmati rice to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the almonds, sunflower seed kernels, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, parsley, and orange zest.
- Add the barley and rices.
- In a small bowl, make a large vinaigrette dressing, with your choice of oil. (I like to add a little orange juice to my vinaigrette mix, for this salad.)
- Pour the vinaigrette dressing over the Grain & Dried Fruit Salad and toss it, to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate the dressed salad for at least two hours, before serving.
This does not store well overnight, once it is coated in the vinaigrette dressing. So plan on eating it all within a few hours.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column, we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!