The following Winter Hearty Stew recipe is from SurvivalBlog reader Richard T.
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- stock pot and strainer for noodles
- skillet for sauteing onions
- 1 smoked pork hock (Easter ham trimmings, bacon, salt pork are good alternatives)
- 27 oz can of Southern Style mustard greens (or any fresh greens, but they must be chopped)
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 1 – 8 oz can of mushroom pieces and stems
- 2 cups of dried black-eye peas (or canned black-eye peas)
- egg noodles
- Frank’s hot sauce (optional)
- salt & black peppercorns (to taste)
The Countdown to Dinner:
- Hour 1-2
- Pressure cook pork hock in 4 cups of water.
- Hour 2-5
- release pressure
- separate bones and grizzle from and meat
- (retain bones for bone broth)
- crush meat with potatoe masher (optional)
- add 1 cup of black-eyed peas, 3 tbs hot sauce, peppercorns, salt.
- Return to pressure cooker
- Hour 5-6
- Saute onion in oil while releasing pressure
- open pressure cooker
- mash peas and meat in the pot
- strain greens and mushrooms well and add all and sauteed onions to pot.
- Add 2nd cup (or can) of black-eyed peas.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes
- continue to cook on a low heat
- Hour 6
- cook noodles and strain
- serve noodles in bowls
- add stew on top
- Hour 1-2
After Hour 6, the stew is ready to enjoy.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column, we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!