The following recipe for a winter trail mix is from reader McKenzie:
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries or Raisins
- 1 cup chocolate chips (regular Toll House or white)
- 1 cup Pistachios, dry roasted (Don’t get salted ones, if on a low-salt diet.)
- 1 cup (or more) Granola, store-bought or homemade
- 1-1/2 cups almonds (candied, roasted, or raw — to suit your taste)
- 2 cups M&Ms (Optional, for you chocaholics)
Just mix it and bag it.
This is a great high-calorie mix for X-C skiing, or snoeshoeing. If you find you like this and do a lot of winter sports, then this recipe can be doubled or tripled.
Keep the bags of this mix cool. Refrigerate or freeze them, if not using immediately. If making this for a warmer season, then omit the chocolate chips or it will become a mess.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column, we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!