October 3rd is the anniversary of the Mogadishu, Somalia raid. The 18 Americans killed were:
- MSG Gary Gordon, 1st SFOD-D
- SFC Randy Shughart, 1st SFOD-D
- SSG Daniel Busch, 1st SFOD-D
- SFC Earl Fillmore, 1st SFOD-D
- MSG Timothy Martin, 1st SFOD-D
- CPL Jamie Smith, 3/75 Ranger
- SPC James Cavaco, 3/75 Ranger
- SGT Casey Joyce, 3/75 Ranger
- PFC Richard Kowaleski, 3/75 Ranger
- SGT Dominic Pilla, 3/75 Ranger
- SGT Lorenzo Ruis, 3/75 Ranger
- SSG William Cleveland, Jr. 160th SOAR
- SSG Thomas Field, 160th SOAR
- CW4 Raymond Frank, 160th SOAR
- CW3 Clifton Wolcott, 160th SOAR
- CW2 Donovan Briley, 160th SOAR
- SGT Cornell Houston, 10th MTN DIV
- PFC James Martin, 10th MTN DIV
The Somalis killed were unnamed and un-numbered, but estimates range from 315 to 2,000 KIAs.
The events of October 3, 1993 were memorialized in the movie Black Hawk Down.
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today we present another entry for Round 91 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The prizes for this round include:
- A gift certificate from Quantum Harvest LLC (up to a $2,200 value) good for 12% off the purchase of any of their sun-tracking models, and 10% off the purchase price of any of their other models.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any of their one, two, or three-day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three-day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (a $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, that have a combined retail value of $589,
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one-hour consultation on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- Naturally Cozy is donating a “Prepper Pack” Menstrual Kit. This kit contains 18 pads and it comes vacuum-sealed for long term storage or slips easily into a bugout bag. The value of this kit is $220.
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $150 purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
Round 91 ends on November 30th, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how-to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.