I heard that fellow novelist Dean Ing (the author of Pulling Through) passed away yesterday. He will be missed!
July 22nd is the birthday of actor Willem Dafoe (born 1955). Perhaps his best role was in the movie The Hunter, set in Tasmania.
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today we present another entry for Round 89 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The prizes for this round include:
- A gift certificate from Quantum Harvest LLC (up to a $2,200 value) good for 12% off the purchase of any of their sun-tracking models, and 10% off the purchase price of any of their other models.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any of their one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one hour consultation on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- Naturally Cozy is donating a “Prepper Pack” Menstrual Kit. This kit contains 18 pads and it comes vacuum sealed for long term storage or slips easily into a bugout bag. The value of this kit is $220.
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $150 purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
Round 89 ends on July 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.
I just saw in my notifications that there was a 7.8 earthquake in Alaska a couple of hours ago.
I hope Tom in Alaska is okay and any other friends here . Praying for you all
Hi, RKRGRL68, Thank you for the heads up, as I didn’t know. Just prayed for Tom in Alaska, his loved ones, all Sblog readers and God’s children in Alaska! I will not be at rest until we hear he is okay.
Bless you, your hubby and parents,
So good to hear from you! I had inquired about you on Saturday to see if YOU are okay as I haven’t seen you post in a few days.
Hope you are doing well, this world we now live in can be rather stressful and I was thinking of you.
Have a Rockin great day
Hi, RKRGRL68, somehow I do not receive reply notices anymore, even though I click to do so. Thank you for your thoughtfulness of me. I was quite surprised.
Yes, I am okay, but only because God is taking extra care of me. The abounding evil hits me with sadness sometimes… On a better note, I am excited to share I have been busy helping one of my kids and his family sell their house and move to a temporary home before moving to the Redoubt in two weeks! PTL!
They are moving on faith, and my son will be looking for a new job. My daughter in law is a stay at home mom and they have three little ones, which I have been blessed to babysit a lot recently.
Did I mention toddlers can be exhausting? lol. They are the joy of my life, and I am doing all that I can to prepare to protect them.
I pray your son, daughter and parents are well, all things considered. BTW, how is your daughters finger and hand healing?
I did find some more yeast last week, and two more cases of wide mouth quart jars. yeah!
I will try to find your comment to me from earlier. Thank you for thinking of me. Blessings on your day, Krissy
FYI, the link for “The Hunter” is something odd.
Matt Bracken’s latest video from 6/20/20. He answers viewer questions.
Correction: The Matt Bracken video from 6/20/20 (June) is not his latest video. (The month of June was confused with the month of July.) The most recent, and just as important, is this video from July 18, 2020. It is another penetrating analysis of the low conflict “secessionist movement” currently in progress. Recommend subscribing to the hosting YouTube channel, The ModernSurvivalist as this is 3 of 3 of what is likely will continue be an on going series of interviews. Bracken is providing us with excellent intelligence there, and on his Gab page.
TMS Live Stream with Matt Bracken – 3PM EST 18th of July
Ammunition for Amour Plate. Posted over on Matt Bracken’s Gab page.
@Matt_Bracken Learn how to defeat amour of various types with either M2AP, or hyper velocity center fire rifles, and off the shelf ammunition, or handloads. Here is it is a nutshell. Speed is the key with either bullet. To defeat level 4, the M2AP bullet must be launched well above the original load of about 2,750fps. It is a combination of velocity and proximity. The slower velocity cartridge necessarily must be closer in range. The higher the velocity, the greater the range. The harder and thicker the plate, the higher velocity it must be. The higer the velocity, the greater range the shot can be. And the most perpendicular the POI to the plate, the greater the penetration. Standard lead core bullets can defeat level 3 if launch in excess of 3,100 fps. The sectional density of the bullet is a secondary consideration. ‘Off the shelf’ or factory loaded magnum rifle cartridges can produce speeds above the threshold speed. Handloaders can do the same with lighter projectiles, or higher pressure loads. The best combination of bullet and magnum rifle that produces the highest velocity AP will defeat amour best. A M2AP bullet reloaded in a .30-06 bolt action, or .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 H and H., .308 Noma and others. .300 Weatherby Magnum will produce the highest velocities and deepest penetration in amour plate with either a standard lead core , or AP bullet.
When reloading the M2AP bullet that is 165 grains in weight, but because of it’s tungsten core and special construction, it has a similar and longer bearing surface comparable to most 180 .30 caliber bullets, Starting loads should use load data for 180 grain bullets. Watch carefully for pressure signs and use a chronograph. The actual velocity will be higher that stated for 180 grain loads.
This content will be posted over at Survialblog.com as well.
How to use a dumpster to protect your community from the little green men.
More on tactics from Southern Prepper 1. I strongly recommend subscribing to his channel as he is putting out a series of videos on tactics we can all use. This installment is about how to defend without night vision. Great old school stuff.
How to hit your target at night without night vision.