We’ve completed the judging for Round 87 of the bi-monthly SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. The Prize Winners are:
First Prize is awarded to Greg X. for the article Generators for Family Readiness, which was published in two parts on March and March 15, 2020-. Links: Part 1, and Part 2.He will receive the following prizes:
- A gift certificate from Quantum Harvest LLC (up to a $2,200 value) good for 12% off the purchase of any of their sun-tracking models, and 10% off the purchase price of any of their other models.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses, excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper. These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses.
Second Prize is awarded to A. in N.D., for the article Smelting Scrap Lead For Bullet Casting, which was published on February 18, 2020. He will receive the following prizes:
- A Front Sight Lifetime Diamond Membership, providing lifetime free training at any Front Sight Nevada course, with no limit on repeating classes. This prize is courtesy of a SurvivalBlog reader who prefers to be anonymous.
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A $300 purchase credit for any of the products from EMPShield.com
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one hour consultation on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
Third Prize is awarded to Mama Bear for her article A Prepping Reality Check which was published in four parts, beginning on March 5, 2020. Links: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4. She will receive the following prizes:
- Three sets each of made-in-USA regular and wide-mouth reusable canning lids. (This is a total of 300 lids and 600 gaskets.) This prize is courtesy of Harvest Guard (a $270 value)
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- Naturally Cozy is donating a “Prepper Pack” Menstrual Kit. This kit contains 18 pads and it comes vacuum sealed for long term storage or slips easily into a bugout bag. The value of this kit is $220.
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- A transferable $100 purchase credit from Elk Creek Company, toward the purchase of any pre-1899 antique gun. There is no paperwork required for delivery of pre-1899 guns into most states, making them the last bastion of firearms purchasing privacy!
Honorable mention prizes ($30 Amazon gift certificates) have been awarded, for these nine articles:
- Psychological and Physical Survival, by K.B.. MD. Links: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Consider Horde Mentality in Your Planning, by Ani
- Get Going on Gardening, by St. Funogas
- Useful Transceivers for Most Preppers, by Tunnel Rabbit
- Stockpiling Medications Inexpensively, by J.B.
- Feeding Your Family When There Is No Meat, by S.E.
- Building Hippie Earth Lodges, by Valerie
- The TEOTWAWKI Garden, by M.C.
- Small-Scale Hay Making, by Oregon Bill
Note to the top three prize winners: Please e-mail us your USPS and UPS address(es) so that we can arrange shipment of your prizes.
Round 88 ends on May 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.