To be prepared for a crisis, every Prepper must establish goals and make long-term and short-term plans. In this column, the SurvivalBlog editors review their week’s prep activities and planned prep activities for the coming week. These range from healthcare and gear purchases to gardening, ranch improvements, bug out bag fine-tuning, and food storage. This is something akin to our Retreat Owner Profiles, but written incrementally and in detail, throughout the year. Note that as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. We always welcome you to share your own successes and wisdom in the Comments. Let’s keep busy and be ready!
I had a fairly quiet week. Other than writing, the highlights of the week were deer hunting, horse hoof trimming, and some organization around the house. I got busy and tagged and cataloged most of the antique guns that I’ve purchased in past few months. My goal is to be ready to re-launch my mail order company, come March or April, of 2020. With that venture, I’ll be re-selling antique guns and various gun accessories, nationwide. Because my blog and books are being shadow-banned, de-ranked, and demonetiized, that new revenue stream may prove crucial for keeping my household afloat.
Avalanche Lily Reports:
This week the weather has been cold and mostly sunny. It was a quieter week for all of us. At the beginning of the week, I processed the last of the apples designated for processing. They were turned into seven more quarts of applesauce and 17 jars of apple jelly.
Our farrier came and trimmed our horses’ hooves. I’m so glad that was taken care of. I was feeling really bad for one of our horses, in particular, whose hooves tend to grow very, very fast and split. They’re all looking great now. What a relief. I’m just not strong enough to squeeze the hoof nippers over their hard horn.
I planted about 120 cloves of garlic which is about three times more than last year. I planted them right after a snow squall when the temperature was about 25 degrees, after dark, with a flashlight. I just had to get them into the ground before it was too late.
The rest of the week, we majored on school, housework, animal chores, watering the indoor garden, making meals, house cleaning, basically maintaining the status quo.
I have been harvesting some of the baby greens that have already grown in the bedroom greenhouse and have put them in a smoothy and have shared them with the chicks.
Free moments, of course, found us all playing with the chicks. Already one of the lavender/gray is well trained to leap upon the arm or hand of whomever puts their arm down into the tank, and perch. They have a non-stop contented twitter which is lovely to hear, but if someone gently knocks the side of the tank, they all go silent and look up expectantly. It’s really funny to us to see.
The chicks had doubled in size and were beginning to make the great escape. One night, Miss Eloise woke up to the sound of chicks screaming. She ran out to the Great room and found two chicks on top of the screen covering which was partially covering the tank, and two chicks on the floor outside of the tank. She scooped them up and put them back into the tank and readjusted the screen covering.
Yes, they were making our great room dusty. I’ve been having to vacuum and dust all surfaces every day… On Thursday, it became too much for me. I was beginning to have a runny nose, sneezing and scratchy throat, and was also feeling slightly tight-chested when breathing. We decided that they must go out to the hen house, now. Too much dust. Thank God we have electricity at this time in history. Jim built a small enclosed area in the hen house, using pieces of plywood we have hanging around, we put in the heat lamp, made a deep nest of hay, covered the top and cracks with our all- purpose towels. We also popped the two adult hens into the enclosure with the hopes that they’ll get broody over the chicks. If not, then at least they themselves will be warmer and will add their heat to the enclosure for the chicks.
It now has been two days since the chicks were moved out. They are doing well and are keeping warm enough. The two hens do not appear to be broody with the chicks but are tolerating them. At least they’ll all keep each other warmer, just from being in close proximity. Plus the hens themselves are also benefitting from the heat lamp. Thankfully the night time temperatures will be warmer for the week ahead.
Friday, saw me vacuuming, dusting, washing and re-organizing the whole great room once more. My symptoms immediately abated! Late spring is the best time to order chicks around here because of our weather, but considering all of the news of possible food shortages coming, I wanted to rebuild our flock, now. Therefore, a little sacrifice of sharing our living space with the chicks for a short while was necessary and worth it.
I went hunting with Jim. I very much enjoyed hiking through the forest looking for deer or elk.
This coming week we plan on getting out hunting most days and hope we’ll have success.
May you all have a very blessed, productive, and safe week.
– Avalanche Lily, Rawles
o o o
As always, please share your own successes and hard-earned wisdom in the Comments.