To be prepared for a crisis, every Prepper must establish goals and make long-term and short-term plans. In this column, the SurvivalBlog editors review their week’s prep activities and planned prep activities for the coming week. These range from healthcare and gear purchases to gardening, ranch improvements, bug out bag fine-tuning, and food storage. This is something akin to our Retreat Owner Profiles, but written incrementally and in detail, throughout the year. We always welcome you to share your own successes and wisdom in the Comments. Let’s keep busy and be ready!
I’m getting close to my September 2nd manuscript deadline, but I managed to squeeze in some more firewood cutting time. This week it was a large dead-standing fir. This tree was 28″ at the butt, and felling it was complicated by the fact that it was quite close to a corral, a shed, and a fence line, That only left two narrow paths for it to fall, safely. So I used the “Phone a Friend” method: I called my neighbor who owns a backhoe. We attached a heavy chain and a come-along attached to a choker around the base of a nearby tree that was in the intended direction of fall. I watched the top of the tree almost continuously as he dug, snapping roots. I kept the tension tight on the fall-steering cable. Since he had a lot of experience at this felling method, the tree dropped right where we wanted it. Success! Then my kids got busy with the limbing (with lopping shears and an axe), while I broke out out one of our Stihl chainsaws. The stump was so large that my neighbor had trouble dragging it with his tractor. So I attached an extra length of tow chain and dragged with my pickup — in 4WD “Low.” I had no problem getting it to a slash pile.
Avalanche Lily Reports:
Whoa, this week, I very suddenly realized, that we are at the end of the summer (where did it go?), and that home school needs to start for Miss Violet next week. Therefore, I had to spend some hours getting her homeschooling curriculum together, setting up her on-line math class and checking in with her piano instructor to get her lesson time scheduled, ordering a biology workbook (Apologia), and while in town, buying a few school supplies that we were short on. In addition to Piano and Pre-Algebra, she will be studying Biology, American History, American Literature, Hebrew, Driver’s Ed, Essay writing, some American Government and Economics, current events, and more Music Theory.
Miss Eloise graduated this spring and is taking a gap year to explore her interests and to work part time. She also enjoys writing and is working on some stories that may someday be published.
So, in light of time constraints caused by home schooling, I am looking around to see what I can do to finish up as much of the gardening and preserving as soon as possible.
I pulled more onions this week and dug some potatoes, 1/3 of a row, from the area that was planted last fall and overwintered to see what kind of production I might be getting. I think it did fairly well. I will be digging some more this coming week. We picked, washed, snapped, blanched and froze a gallon of yellow wax beans, and dehydrated another 17 large Zucchinis with another 15 awaiting in line to be next. I washed and chopped, blanched and froze five green cabbages and refrigerated another six red cabbages. I froze another two gallons of red and gold raspberries. Their summer production is just about done. But I have a large number of Primocane raspberries that produce raspberries on the tip of first year canes into the fall until the first hard frost. It appears that they will be producing heavily in another two weeks. Last year I was picking raspberries into October from the Primocanes of both the reds and gold raspberries. I need to prune out the spent raspberry canes in the coming weeks.
I picked the last six finally ripened Transparent Apples. My young plum tree, after five years of growing in the orchard has finally produced some plums, which are just beginning to turn slightly purple.
I pulled weeds in the main garden. And I stacked some wood one morning, for Jim.
I transplanted around 15 fir, spruce, and cedar saplings that I had pulled up from areas around an outbuilding, about three weeks ago. I had put the saplings in water and they grew new roots while in the water. I didn’t know pulled tree saplings would recover from that kind of trauma. I was surprised that they survived. So I planted them in areas where we want more trees. In light of that successful experiment, (we’ll see if they take to their new homes), I again, went around some other of our buildings and pulled saplings that were growing where they ought not to grow, and put them in water to see if they too will grow more roots and be able to be replanted.
We have family members visiting. We are enjoying many good times together.
Miss Violet and I rode our bikes four days in a row for 40 minutes of concentrated exercise. We are rebuilding our endurance again, after a summer of doing garden work and lawn mowing for my main exercise. Also the weather is cooling down a bit making it more conducive to want to ride.
Please continue to pray for our relative with the heart issue. We are believing that she is healed, in the name of Jesus. By His stripes, she is healed. Thank You!
May you all have a very blessed and safe week.
– Avalanche Lily, Rawles
o o o
As always, please share your own successes and hard-earned wisdom in the Comments.