SurvivalBlog presents another edition of The Survivalist’s Odds ‘n Sods – a collection of news bits and pieces that are relevant to the modern survivalist and prepper from “HJL”. Central & South America news starts us off today.
Reader H.L. sent in this article on Chicago not allowing high school students to graduate without a plan for the future. She also sends this comment:
“There is so many things wrong about this concept, I hardly know where to start
- Assume the high school graduate is at least 18, and considered an adult who can vote and join the military. What gives any parent, school or other adult to demand that the student be signed up for college, a trade school, have a job or whatever? I thought slavery was outlawed decades ago!
- It seems to me that in some cases (as other states and schools are considering such a “law”) might be a thinly veiled attempt at increasing college enrollment, and of course, the resulting student loan debacle!
- The peripheral items such as mentoring, etc. just keeps the graduate chained to the “system” that has already given him/her a dumbed down education. Another form of CONTROL by government.
- What is the penalty if the student says that he/she has a job, and lies? Will the school check with the so-called employer before handing the student the diploma?
- What about the parents? With many students the parents do not believe they are done raising their child. They feel it is none of the schools business what Sally or Johnny does after graduate! Is there a penalty for the parents? If not, will there be? Government does not want us to control our own lives, so I could see this coming! My parents have long since passed on, but I KNOW what they would say and do! No one controlled them, especially not my Dad!
- Some students will say **** you and walk out of the HS without their diploma! Other students in the lower grades will see what is waiting for them and some will decide to do the same thing!. Where will Chicago and broke Illinois get the funds for this effort? Looks like they will probably have to declare bankruptcy.
I am certain I have not thought of everything, but I am not surprised that this Mayor has come up with such a plan!”
A single wiretap order in 2016 swept up more than 3 million phone conversations. This was done in order to carry out a relatively unimpressive drug sting. Amazingly, not a single conviction has resulted from that wiretap. That was just one of the 3,186 wiretaps issued by federal and state judges in 2016. Still think you live in a free country?
Continuing in the grand tradition of failed socialist experiments, Venezuela has hiked the minimum wage up 50% under the mistaken believe that it will force the economy to recover. They blame the U.S for having a false dollar and believe that this will “put the handcuffs” on speculation. It sounds more like the flushing sounds of a toilet. We are now stressing the deep, deep pantry levels of prepping in that Country. Thanks to L.G. for the link.
Most of us have come to accept the fact that we live in the age of “junk” science. You can find a study that says just about anything you want it to say. Have a preconceived idea of what you want the outcome to be? No problem! You too can have a “scientific study” tailored to your needs and you can probably get a government grant to do it. However, there is a light in that dark place. A SurvivalBlog reader sent in the link to this site that deals primarily with news articles where authors of scientific papers had to retract their statements because data was deliberately falsified or the science was sloppy. I’m having fun reading some of these articles.
Showing just how fragile our power network can be, reader G.P. sent in this article on a simple mylar metallic balloon from an Independence Day celebration. More than 1300 businesses and homes were without power, some for as long as 86 minutes while crews worked to repair the damage.