Here is a simple recipe for making a cool refreshing dip for those hot summer days when you don’t want something sweet or you are seeking a healthy way of adding some variety to your diet. It makes a great alternative to the sugary sauces that are sold on the supermarket shelf. The bonus is its homemade, and you know what’s in it, which is a winner in my book!
- 1 Kg / 2.2 lbs full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 rsp lemon Juice
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 stalks of fresh chives
- 1 lg telegraph cucumber- peeled, halved, and seeds removed
- 2 cut pieces of muslin /cheesecloth (about 6×8 inches)
- Place yogurt in your piece of cheesecloth and slowly squeeze over a bowl to remove the whey. Do this until most of the whey is removed. Let the now much drier yogurt drain over the bowl for 15 minutes.
- Take the cucumber and proceed to grate the green outside skin to the softer flesh underneath. Place the grated Cucumber in another piece of muslin/cheesecloth and squeeze out the juice into a bowl and discard.
- In a bowl place your salt, lemon juice, olive oil, chives, garlic, yogurt, and cucumber; mix well!
- Let your dip stay overnight in the fridge to bring out the flavour, and then serve with your favourite pita bread and black olives to enjoy!
o o o
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? Please send it via e-mail. Thanks!