We’ve completed the judging for Round 31 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest. And the winners are…
First Prize goes to T.K. for his article: Bugout Base Camp: My Solar School Bus, which was posted on Nov. 15, 2010. He will receive: A.) A course certificate from onPoint Tactical. This certificate will be for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses. (Excluding those restricted for military or government teams.) Three day onPoint courses normally cost between $500 and $600, and B.) Two cases of Mountain House freeze dried assorted entrees, in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources. (A $392 value.) C.) A 9-Tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator from Safecastle.com (a $275 value), D.) A 500 round case of Fiocchi 9mm Parabellum (Luger ) with 124gr. Hornady XTP/HP projectiles, courtesy of Sunflower Ammo (a $240 value), and E.) An M17 medical kit from JRH Enterprises (a $179.95 value).
Second Prize goes to Naomi M. for her article Using the Grain You Have Stored, which was posted on November 24, 2010. She will receive: A.) A “grab bag” of preparedness gear and books from Jim’s Amazing Secret Bunker of Redundant Redundancy (JASBORR) with a retail value of at least $400, and B.) two cases of Meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value).
Third Prize goes to A. for her article Keeping Secrets in Suburbia–Constructing Our Hidden Basement Room, which was posted on October 20, 2010. She will receive: A.) A copy of my “Rawles Gets You Ready” preparedness course, from Arbogast Publishing, and B.) a Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21. (This filter system is a $275 value.)
There were so many great entries in Round 31 that an unprecedented twenty Honorable Mention prizes are being awarded. These articles were:
- Get Me Home Gear for Commuters, by Jeff J.
- Tell No One, by Mary F.
- Learning Traditional Skills, by R.I.P.
- Non-Electronic Navigation, by Noil
- A Bug Out Bag Reality Check, by Stranger
- Retirement and Surviving TEOTWAWKI, by Pat M.
- Decision Science for TEOTWAWKI, by Dr. P.F.
- Outdoor Survival–The Basics, by Alan B.
- Medical Asset Evaluation, by Dr. C. in Flyover Country
- Are You Prepared for Firefighting?, by J.T.F.
- My Lessons Learned From a Recent Tactical Shotgun Class, by Greg C.
- Lessons for the Christian Prepper, by Dallas in Iraq
- From Beginning Prepper, to Fully-Stocked Retreat: What to Buy, and When, by Scott in Wisconsin
- Beer Brewing Basics, by Doctus
- Survival Seeds – Advice from an Avid Gardener, by Mrs. W.
- Survival Gardening, by Delia L. in Oregon
- Off The Grid Cooking, by Chino
- Adapting Traditional Medical Care to the Austere Environment, by A.P.T.
- An Adequate Bug Out Vehicle (BOV), by Ed in Kentucky
- The Disappearance of the Anasazi Explained, by Ben F.
These authors will each receive a $30 gift certificate from Amazon.com. Congratulations. Keep in mind that you are still eligible to win one of the top three prizes for any future entries.
Note to prize winners: Send us an e-mail to let us know both your snail mail and UPS address (for the top three prizes), and just your e-mail address (for the Honorable Mention prize winners.) Thanks!
Round 32 begins today. (We didn’t have room to post all of the entries that were received for Round 31, so those will be posted in the next two weeks, for consideration in the judging for Round 32.) Remember that articles that relate practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging. Round 32 ends on January 31st, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry.
Note: One of the contest prizes is changing for this next round of the writing contest. Because the Fiocchi 9mm ammo is about to sell out, a 250 round case of 12 Gauge Hornady TAP FPD 2-3/4″ OO buckshot ammo will be substituted. This prize is courtesy of Sunflower Ammo (a $240 value),