Here is a new variation of Almanzo Wilder’s favorite side-dish of fried Apples ‘n Onions which is great for fall breakfasts. Almanzo Wilder is the husband of Laura Ingalls Wilder who wrote the Little House on the Prairie series. In the book “Farmer Boy” Laura mentions how much Almanzo loved Fried Apples ‘n Onions.
This week, for breakfast I started to fry up potatoes and onions and thought of Almanzo’s Fried Apples and Onions and thought, “Why not add Apples?” I had never tried Fried Apples and Onions. So I did. It was a hit with the family, and very yummy. So, here is the recipe:
- 8 medium potatoes peeled and cut to 1/2″ cubes
- 3 large apples peeled and cut to 1/2″ cubes or slices
- 3 medium onions, diced
- Cooking oil (I prefer olive oil)
- Himalayan Salt (to taste)
- Heat a large fry pan and coat with oil.
- Brown the desired quantity of chopped onion
- Pour in the potatoes and apples, simultaneously
- Cook, stirring often, until the potatoes and apples are soft and slightly browned.
Serve with any other breakfast dishes.
Best is eaten immediately, while still hot. Will not store well regrigerated, especially if the potatoes were pre-cooked.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!