We have completed Round 51 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest!
First Prize goes to G.A. (RN) for “Setting up a Sick Room in Your Home”, which was posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2014. She will receive the following prizes:
- Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate, good for any one, two, or three course (a $1,195 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical. This certificate will be for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses. (Excluding those restricted for military or government teams.) Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $300 gift certificate from CJL Enterprize, for any of their military surplus gear,
- A 9-Tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator from Safecastle.com (a $300 value),
- A $300 Gift Certificate from Freeze Dry Guy,
- A $250 gift certificate from Sunflower Ammo,
- A roll of $10 face value in pre-1965 U.S. 90% silver quarters, courtesy of GoldAndSilverOnline.com, (currently valued at around $180 postpaid),
- Both VPN tunnel and DigitalSafe annual subscriptions from Privacy Abroad (a combined value of $195),
- KellyKettleUSA.com is donating both an AquaBrick water filtration kit and a Stainless Medium Scout Kelly Kettle Complete Kit with a combined retail value of $304,
- APEX Gun Parts is donating a $250 purchase credit, and
- TexasgiBrass.com is providing a $300 gift certificate.
Second prize goes to A.C. for “Dealing With Asthma When The SHTF”, which was posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014. She will receive the following prizes:
- A gift certificate worth $1,000, courtesy of Spec Ops Brand,
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training. Together, these have a retail value of $589.
- A FloJak EarthStraw “Code Red” 100 foot well pump system (a $500 value), courtesy of FloJak.com,
- $300 worth of ammo from Patriot Firearms and Munitions. (They also offer a 10% discount for all SurvivalBlog readers with coupon code SVB10P .),
- A $250 gift card from Emergency Essentials,
- A full set of all 26 books published by PrepperPress.com (a $270 value),
- Two cases of Meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value),
- EP Lowers, makers of 80% complete fiber composite polymer lowers for the AR-15 rifles, is donating a $250 gift certificate,
- Autrey’s Armory – specialists in AR-15, M4s, parts, and accessories is donating a $250 gift certificate,
- Dri-Harvestfoods.com in Bozeman, Montana is providing a prize bundle with Beans, Buttermilk Powder, Montana Hard Red Wheat, Drink Mixes, and White Rice, valued at $333,
- TexasgiBrass.com is providing a $150 gift certificate, and
- Organized Prepper is providing a $500 gift certificate.
Third prize goes to P.R. for “How To Save Seeds: From Your Garden, For Your Garden”, published on Wednesday, March 19, 2014. He will receive the following prizes:
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security,
- A MURS Dakota Alert Base Station Kit with a retail value of $240 from JRH Enterprises,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances, and
- Ambra Le Roy Medical Products in North Carolina is donating a bundle of their traditional wound care and first aid supplies, with a value of $208.
- SurvivalBased.com is donating a $500 gift certificate to their store.
Honorable Mention prizes ($30 Amazon.com gift certificates) have been awarded to the writers of these 10 fine articles:
- Maple Syrup is a Gift, by El Jeffe
- Ants, Grasshoppers and Other Things That Bug You, by CEH
- Prepper Primer for Your Non-prepper Love Ones, by T.S.
- Transmission, Prevention, and Treatment of the Flu Virus, by JJE
- Why Your Family Will NOT Survive the Economic Collapse, by A.Y.
- SHTF Lessons From Venezuela, by CSR
- Preparing For Friends and Family, by Thor1964
- Family Prepping Made Fun For Kids, by M.S.
- Come, Dear Friends, Fellow Preparers, and Interested Readers; I Will Tell You A Simple Tale, by M.R.
- The Five Stages of Survival Grief, by Dr. Bob
Note to all Prize winners: Let us know your current e-mail address. We will also need UPS and USPS addresses for each of the top three prize winners.
Round 51 ended on March 31st, but Round 52 has started, so get busy writing and e-mail us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging. Those articles that we received for Round 51, but that did not get published in time will be automatically entered in Round 52.