Today is the 100th birthday of famed mercenary Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare  (born 17 March 1919). The Infogalactic wiki has some details on his colorful life:
“Hoare was born in India .  He was educated in England . He served in North Africa  and Italy as an officer in the London Irish Rifles   during World War II , and achieved the rank of Captain. After the war, he completed his training as a chartered accountant , and qualified in 1948.  He emigrated to Durban , Natal Province , Union of South Africa , where he ran safaris  and became a soldier-for-hire in various African countries.
During the Congo Crisis  Mike Hoare organized and led two separate mercenary groups:
1960–1961. Major Mike Hoare’s first mercenary action was in Katanga , a province  trying to break away from the newly independent Congo . The unit was called “4 Commando.” During this time he married Phyllis Simms, an airline stewardess.
1964. Congolese Prime Minister Moïse Tshombe  hired “Major” Mike Hoare to lead a military unit called 5 Commando ANC  (later led by John Peters ) (not to be confused with No.5 Commando , the British Second World War commando force) made up of about 300 men most of whom were from South Africa. His second in command was a fellow ex-British Army officer, Commandant Alistair Wicks. The unit’s mission was to fight a revolt known as the Simba Rebellion . Later Hoare and his mercenaries worked in concert with Belgian paratroopers , Cuban exile  pilots, and CIA-hired mercenaries who attempted to save 1,600 civilians (mostly Europeans and missionaries ) in Stanleyville  from the Simba rebels in Operation Dragon Rouge . This operation saved many lives.  Hoare was later promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in the ANC and 5 Commando expanded into a two-battalion force. Hoare commanded 5 Commando from July 1964 to November 1965.” 
SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
Today we present another entry for Round 81 of the SurvivalBlog non-fiction writing contest . The nearly $11,000 worth of prizes for this round include:
- A $3000 gift certificate towards a Sol-Ark Solar Generator  from Veteran owned Portable Solar LLC. The only EMP Hardened Solar Generator System available to the public.
- A Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate. This can be used for any one, two, or three day course  (a $1,095 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical for the prize winner’s choice of three-day civilian courses , excluding those restricted for military or government teams. Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- DRD Tactical is providing a 5.56 NATO QD Billet upper . These have hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels and a hard case, to go with your own AR lower. It will allow any standard AR-type rifle to have a quick change barrel. This can be assembled in less than one minute without the use of any tools. It also provides a compact carry capability in a hard case or in 3-day pack (an $1,100 value),
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze-dried assorted entrees  in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $250 gift certificate good for any product  from Sunflower Ammo,
- American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) is providing a $300 certificate good towards any of their DVD training courses .
- A Model 175 Series Solar Generator provided by Quantum Harvest LLC (a $439 value),
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4  Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training, which have a combined retail value of $589,
- A Three-Day Deluxe Emergency Kit  from Emergency Essentials (a $190 value),
- Two 1,000-foot spools of full mil-spec U.S.-made 750 paracord  (in-stock colors only) from www.TOUGHGRID.com (a $240 value).
- An assortment of products along with a one hour consultation  on health and wellness from Pruitt’s Tree Resin (a $265 value).
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of  Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners , donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections , a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security, LLC,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances.
Round 81 ends on March 28th, so get busy writing and e-mail  us your entry. Remember that there is a 1,500-word minimum, and that articles on practical “how to” skills for survival have an advantage in the judging.