To be prepared for a crisis, every Prepper must establish goals and make long-term and short-term plans. Steadily, we work on meeting our prepping goals. In this column, the SurvivalBlog editors review their week’s prep activities. They also often share their planned prep activities for the coming week. These range from healthcare and gear purchases  to gardening, property improvements, and food storage. This is something akin to our Retreat Owner Profiles , but written incrementally and in detail, throughout the year. We always welcome you to share your own successes and wisdom in the Comments. Let’s keep busy and be ready!
Dear SurvivalBlog Readers,
The Rawles family spent most of the week traveling. We’ve returned to very wintery conditions. Once we got back to the ranch, we did our unpacking and reorganizing. The Greenhouse path still needs to be shoveled, so we’ll have to update that greenhouse within a greenhouse report next week. Lily started to plan the layouts for the gardens for this coming summer. Lord willing, we will be doubling the planted area and will be branching off into new crop growing adventures. More on that later.
We are looking forward to reading comments from readers about your preps this winter. May you all have a blessed Christmas week, – Avalanche Lily Rawles
This week the Latimer Homestead will be doing a good bit of cooking and baking in preparations for time with friends and family. We were able to get some of the animal grains organized but still have a lot to do to reorganize the human food stores and finish year end inventory. That will wait for when we are not turning our attention to special times with friends and family.
Meanwhile, In the shop…
Work has progressed slowly, but steadily making the shop usable, but we hit a snag this week. I finished wiring the outlets in the last wall of the shop. There are quite a few outlets on this circuit. Its not expected to carry many simultaneous loads, I just had a bunch of outlets because I wanted easy access to power on this wall. There is an outlet within three feet of anywhere on the wall. When I finished wiring the last outlet, I flipped the breaker and then went to check power availability. I didn’t expect anything to go wrong because it was a simple and straight forward wiring job. But there was nothing. No power at all. I spent the next thirty minutes checking breakers and even pulling outlets to verify correct wiring, all to no avail. 
It was like there was a missing outlet somewhere that fed the whole string. I have done all of the work myself, from framing, to wiring and even sheetrock, but it has been over a period of about 3 years as the project has been on-again, off-again as priorities changed. After some thought, I decided to trace the power wire in the attic and discovered that it dropped into the wall nowhere near what I thought was the feed outlet. Using a stud finder to find the stud that the wire dropped down next to and then a best guess of where I thought I might have put the lost outlet, I drilled a small hole into the wall right next to a bookshelf and inserted a screwdriver. The clear “tink” of metal on metal was sure a refreshing sound. 10 minutes later I had uncovered the lost outlet and 30 minutes later had active power on the wall. I love my rotary cut out tool ! 
o o o
As always, please share your own successes and hard-earned wisdom in the Comments.