As preppers work to make progress to achieve prepping goals, we took some actions this week too. The SurvivalBlog editors made some plans  earlier in the week and now reflect upon these. Below, the editors share what we each accomplished. Please write to us in the comments and tell us what you did this week to get your preps in place and to be ready.
Hello SurvivalBlog Readers,
This week the weather in the northern American Redoubt was cool, cloudy, and mostly dry.
Our prepping accomplishments are as follows:
Jim got a nice start on the plumbing project. He took down the wasp infected, hollowed tree and took down some more dead and diseased trees, gathered slash and burned it. Jim and Lily, together, planted, mulched and deeply watered the eight saplings. We love working together outside.
Lily mulched the blueberries with peat moss and moved the hose around to water the already planted sections of the garden. Lily cleaned the chicken coop and the entryway of the barn, where we store the hay. She started cleaning the stalls. She got started with weeding, fertilizing with composted cow manure and mulched with straw, three rows, so far, of our large strawberry patch.
Nothing was planted in the garden or greenhouse, this week. But we’re done with out of home, homeschool obligations for the summer, so we’ll get to it this coming week.
#1 Daughter worked on cleaning the small-hoofed animals’ shed.
We’re looking forward to hearing what you accomplished towards prepping this week.
Over the past five days, the Latimer family made some progress on the homestead. The gardens were expanded and some of the automated watering system installed. Unwanted creatures were expelled (or expired), a good deal maintenance was accomplished, and a large amount of homemade bread was baked and frozen. All of this was accomplished amid some celebrations and heavy work loads, but amid good weather and health. We thank the LORD for another week of His blessings and for the new life in the garden, which we expect to help sustain our family for another year!
Gardening For Livestock
We planted 250 feet of the nearly 400 feet of garden that was waiting for cow peas. Additionally, we watered the cow pea area we have planted well over the past two weeks. And the good Lord brought hot days such that they have begun to sprout out of the ground already. Some sprouted out of the ground in just two days! Though we soaked those seeds for an hour or so in a pea innoculent-water mixture before we planted them.
We have had to deal with a variety of unwanted critters that have tried to invade our garden and structures this week. These critters have included rabbits, squirrels, black widow spiders, and a rattle snake. (Just a few weeks ago we had a pack of coyotes follow after a pack of wild dogs, each pursuing our chickens.) It is a continuous battle. Some will no longer be a problem, but some escaped.
Automated Watering System
We installed the drip watering system on the two main vegetable gardens. So far they seem to be holding well, though we need some additional stakes to hold the tubing firmly in place, but we will get to this next week.
Trees were trimmed and what seem like a million weeds were chopped and pulled.
Sarah baked several loaves of bread and cakes this week, some of which she shared with friends for various celebrations.