On behalf of one of my consulting clients, I’m again searching for a caretaker couple (or family) to live and work full-time at a ranch in northwestern Montana. The current caretaker family plans to move in June of 2023, to be closer to their family.
The ranch is more than 150 mostly-timbered acres with a creek, small ponds, and a multi-acre reservoir. There are no nearby neighbors. The ranch adjoins National Forest Service land. The wildlife on the land includes deer, elk, moose, bears (both grizzly and black), turkeys, grouse, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, lynx, and birds galore. The reservoir is stocked with fish. The property has multiple dwellings including a caretaker house and various outbuildings. All of the dwellings have amazing mountain views. The owner has the requisite budget and is making rapid progress at getting the ranch ready to function as a self-sufficient survival retreat. The ranch is stocked and equipped to be self-sufficient for an extended period.
The paid year-round caretaking position includes lodging in a 1,600 square foot log caretaker house, provided with heating and water utilities paid, as part of your compensation.
But before I can tell you anything more about this amazing ranch retreat, I need to know about you. I need to know if you meet the qualifications for employment. The ideal candidates must be able to check off the following bullets:
The couple must be:
- Married for at least three years, in a strife-free and drug-free monogamous relationship.
- Be devoted Christians and be on the same page as the ranch owner concerning current events of these Last Days.
- Both under age 45, physically fit, and normal body weight.
- Not vaccinated with a COVID-19 shot or boosters.
- Be in good health and have a willingness to consistently work hard, and work in inclement weather. You need to have the drive to develop and work the ranch as if it were your own ranch that you were building and maintaining. This is not the job for people with a “mañana” attitude.
- Willing to have the husband be a full-time ranch caretaker, with no outside employment. (The wife can have outside employment, but must be available for at least 10 hours a week for caretaking responsibilities.)
- Be team players and committed to a survivalist lifestyle. (When the balloon goes up, you are staying, as part of the retreat security and provisioning team.)
- Have good common sense, the ability to learn new skills, be handy with tools, and have existing practical skills that will contribute to the completion and smooth operation of the ranch retreat.
- Have good communication skills, and be willing to keep in close touch with the ranch owner, who plans to spend his summers and brief vacations at the main house, with his family.
- Have minimal emotional baggage, drama, or other “issues.”
- Be willing to live in semi-isolation at a retreat that is a 3-hour drive from the nearest city of 100,000+. (It is a 15-minute drive from a small town with many churches, a hospital, several grocery stores, and hardware stores, and auto parts stores.)
- Be circumspect and security conscious.
- Have great attention to detail and orderliness.
- You and your children (if any) enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle.
- Be perceptive about people’s intentions and have the ability to oversee tradesmen that are hired for specific projects and repairs.
- Apply with the understanding that they will have extensive background checks and will undergo drug tests, before employment.
The husband must:
Have a “can do” attitude. Have U.S. Army or USMC experience — or alternatively extensive police SWAT experience, or overseas intel/security contractor experience. Ideally, we are seeking a former company-grade officer or NCO qualified in any of the following Combat Arms/Combat Support OSCs/MOSes (or any of the USMC equivalent specialties):
- SF (18B, 18C. 18D 18E, 18F)
- MP (31B, 31K)
- Infantry (11B, 11C)
- Armor/Scout (19D, 19K)
- Engineer (12A, 12B, 12M, 12N, 12W)
And ideally, with prior or secondary MOS experience in any of the following mechanical MOSes:
- 91B, 91D, 91F, 91H, or 91L.
- Or, in any 68-series medical MOS, preferably with experience in the field at the tactical level.
- Overseas deployments are a plus.
- Experience at tree felling is a plus.
- Experience with fence construction is a plus.
- Experience with snowplows, tractors, excavators, and/or bulldozers is a plus.
- Experience with home maintenance is a plus.
- Experience with small livestock is a plus.
- Car, truck, and small motor repair experience is a plus.
- Vegetable gardening experience (especially large scale) is a plus.
The wife must:
Be practical. Be willing and able to do greenhouse and large plot gardening. She must keep good discipline of your children and pets. A homeshooling mom would be ideal. (For security and health reasons, your children cannot attend public school.) Please note that there are some nursing and secretarial jobs available, locally.
Prior military service for the wife (in any of the aforementioned MOSes) and/or medical experience is a big plus, but not necessary.
If you meet these qualifications, then please e-mail a cover letter and resume, to: email@example.com, and I will personally handle the initial contacts. Once we’ve narrowed the list of candidates, your contacts will then be with the ranch owner.
Please pray seriously about this, before responding. – JWR