Reader R.R.. kindly sent us this recipe for iced pumpkin cake bars with a cream cheese icing.
Cake Bar Ingredients
- 4 large eggs, warmed to room temperature
- 1-2/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 16 ounces (one can) of solid-pack cooked pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 6 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
Cake Bar Making Directions
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until well blended.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add this into the pumpkin,and mix well.
- Pour into a lightly-greased greased 10″ x 15″ baking pan that is no more than 2″ deep.
- Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick to be sure that it is baked through.
- Completed cake will only be about 1″ thick.
- Cool completely before icing.
Icing Making Directions
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Add just enough milk to get an icing that can be spread consistently.
- After the cake has cooled, spread icing over the cake.
- Slice into bars that are less than 2″ wide, and about 3″ long.
The icing is a bit messy when warm, so let the cake cool completely, before icing and cutting into bars.
Both the iced bars and any extra icing can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. But they will be gobbled up long before then!
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail . Thanks!