This delicious beans and rice recipe provides a complete protein. It is great survival recipe– ideal for times when meat is scarce, or for use by vegans or vegetarians.
- 1 Cup Rice – rinsed
- 3-14 oz. cans black beans – slightly rinsed
- 1 Large green pepper – chopped
- 2 Medium onions – chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic – crushed
- 1-2 tsp. cumin
- 1-2 tsp. chili powder Beef or chicken stock – 1 can
- Cilantro washed and chopped (optional)
- Oil for saute
- Salt & Pepper
- Saute onions and peppers with crushed garlic in oil
- Add ½ of cumin & chili powder (a little garlic powder if no fresh garlic)
- Cook for a few minutes, add rice
- Add remainder of cumin and chili powder
- Add stock plus 1 cup water, S & P to taste.
- Cook to bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 mins
- Pour mixture into large casserole so as to be able to add black beans later.
- Cook covered for 20 mins @350 F. (Longer cooking time needed at higher altitudes – you can check when your rice is cooked)
- Remove from oven, carefully remove lid/foil
- Add cilantro to the top, cover with black beans
- Return to oven uncovered, cook for 10 mins or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven, let cool, mix beans with rice.
This is great with smoked sausage, sliced avocado and pico de gallo.
The ingredients can be dehydrated and sealed for easy use later by re-constituting with a little water. It provides a great tasting home-made meal for when SHTF.
o o o
Useful Recipe and Cooking Links:
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? Please send it via e-mail . Thanks!