Disclaimer and Disclosure : Per the SEC Investment Advisers Act of 1940 (as amended): I am not a paid investment counselor or adviser . I am not a stockholder of any company. I am not employed by any company. I receive no payment or benefit from any company in exchange for my investment recommendations. I do not make stock buying recommendations. Make all investments at your own risk.
Furthermore, (per FTC File No. P034520): I accept cash-paid advertising. To the best of my knowledge, as of the date of this updated posting (August 24, 2011), none of my advertisers that sell the products mentioned in this article have solicited me or paid me to write any reviews or endorsements, nor have they provided me any free or reduced-price gear in exchange for any reviews or endorsements. I am not a stock holder in any company. I do, however, benefit from sales through the SurvivalBlog Amazon Store. If you click on one of our Amazon links and then “click through” to order ANY product from Amazon.com (not just the ones listed in our catalog), then we will earn a modest sales commission.
I hold to to the Austrian School of economics.
My view of the current global economic situation is that we are in the early stages of a massive liquidity crisis, caused by central bank interest rate manipulation that caused massive malinvestment in equities and real estate. There are trillions of dollars in bad debts that need to be “unwound.” Meanwhile, the derivatives market has grown to enormous proportions and could implode at any time. (See my background article: Derivatives–The Mystery Man Who’ll Break the Global Bank at Monte Carlo.
As a survivalist, I strongly believe that you should get your Beans, Bullets, and Band-Aids squared away before you “invest” any extra capital in any investment vehicle!
After you are on a secure footing logistically, then I recommend that you do some investment research at these web sites:
- Dr. Gary North
- Northwest Territorial Mint (Precious metals sales. Highly recommended.)
- Zero Hedge
- The Daily Reckoning (General economics and precious metals commentary. They have an excellent free daily e-mail newsletter)
- Deliverance From Debt
- Total Investor blog (An investing and economics news aggregation page.)
- Gold-Eagle (Precious metals news and commentary)
- The Moneychanger (Franklin Sanders)
- John Mauldin
- Kitco (Precious metals charts, news, and commentary)
- Colorado Gold (Don Stott)
- Gold is Money (Discussion forums and other resources on precious metals investing)
- Survival & Prosperity
- Coinflation(Base metal coin values)
(using coin weight data from the recommended books Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000, and Charlton’s Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins)
Some useful long term charts:
|The Gross National Debt|